Music Banter - View Single Post - What Are You listening To V.III Metal!
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2018, 06:20 PM   #5856 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

"Angel of Death" is definitely my favorite Slayer song because it epitomizes violence in metal in a way that I don't think any other metal song does. And while Reign in Blood is not quite my fav Slayer album since so many of the songs aren't brilliant all by themselves, I think that's the brilliance of the album. If you want standalone metal anthems of utmost violence then you have the two bookends, "Angel of Death" and "Raining Blood", but more than any other Slayer album, and quite possibly any other metal album ever recorded, Reign in Blood absolutely needed to be recorded for the sake of, not only metal, but of aggressive music in general.

I don't think any other album, be it metal or otherwise, has ever expressed that same constant, immediate violence that has made 30 minutes feel like an abuse to your ears. There are plenty of death and black metal albums that have been more extreme, but I don't think there are any that have been more immediately aggressive for their entirety, and certainly there were none before and I don't think that that is even up for debate. Reign in Blood was simply the culmination of the point blank idea that metal could **** you up. And I don't know that that basic idea has ever been bettered. It's such a primal idea that you simply can't better it at this point afaic.

There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote