Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2018, 07:54 PM   #10579 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
For me to rediscover a theoretical faith in humanity the American people would have to publicly and obviously recoil in horror at what they've done by electing this man. But the right wing of all walks of life will carry at least as much water as is required to make him sound like a reasonable president, and the swing voters like my mother will carry enough water to make it sound like it was reasonable to have voted for him in the first place. And the liberals will hate him because they have no reason to carry water for him. But on the whole the American people will pretend that this whole episode wasn't an embarrassment to the entire concept that the human race should even be trusted with the right to vote.
^ You sound remarkably like my brother, who always claims that 90% of the human race are stupid b*st*rds, and there's so much depressing evidence that this is true.

Quote:
Jesus Christ I actually care less about voting now than I did before. Yeah, if people voted more and were more educated this could have been avoided, but if frogs had wings they wouldn't bump their ass when they jump. All I know is that the human race is willing to vote for Adolf Hitler and Donald Trump. My fellow man is simply not worth my time to care. I just hope the elephants can survive our idiocy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
If you vote you’re acknowledging the legitimacy of the political structure and therefore officially part of the problem. Everything about America is **** and the only moral position is complete rejection.

At least we are in agreement in our loathing of the Republican party as it is today, because I strongly disagree with this response of not bothering to vote. I know this whole argument has been explored already, but I just don't see the sense in abstaining. Sometimes I think about the progress that has been made in our two countries, the struggle for freedom of worship, and the fight to win the right to vote. At one time both those rights were unthinkable, but we have them today; women can vote, black people can vote. To have that right and then say no thanks seems like a negation of what those people fought for. They fought for the principle of democracy and however gerrymandered it may be today, they fought against greater odds than anything that Trump can throw up; battles were won, in the streets, in the court of public opinion and in the polling booths.

Quote:
To go on your free will and with full understanding to vote for another human being to have power over you should be unthinkably humiliating to anyone with even the slightest dignity.
^ This I would particularly disagree with. When I get on a bus or go to the dentist, I let the bus driver or dentist have power over me without feeling unthinkably humiliated. I can't drive a bus and I can't run the country, so it seems logical to hand that job over to someone else.

EDIT: With Chula all the way! .....except in his spelling of "trophys"