Music Banter - View Single Post - Blizzard of Ozz or Heaven & Hell?
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2018, 11:08 AM   #14 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Honestly I don't know atm. I used to be all about Heaven and Hell, but a lot of that kind of metal just doesn't do it for me like it used to. The A-side is still great, but I was never as hot on the B-side, and I can't even remember how it goes anymore.

And Ozzy solo has always been a big step down from his Sabbath days, both in the quality of his performances and the quality of the music. Blizzard also has some seriously duff tracks that make it clear this album was designed for mass appeal rather than as a piece of art that Ozzy cared about. There's simply no way that he thought "Goodbye to Romance" made sense on this album or was in any way proud of it.

TBH though I might have to go with Blizzard. Whatever problems it has Randy Rhoads just has the sickest riffs and an energy that brings the music to life in a way you just don't hear in most likeminded albums. Both Sabbath and Ozzy were clearly competing to find the new sound of metal/rock that would take the genre into the 80s and become commercially successful, but I think Ozzy actually came out with a much more definitive form of melodic metal that clearly defined the next ten years of commercial metal (along with Van Halen obviously, and Motley Crue a year later), and is oddly timeless either in spite or because of it. Listening to it right now and actually digging it a lot more than I usually do.

So I guess I do know and I'll go with Blizzard of Ozz to my considerable surprise.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote