Music Banter - View Single Post - Things People Say or Write That Annoy You
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2018, 11:19 AM   #109 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
There's what you can do and there's what's right. Treating a single entity as plural is nonsensical to me.

"The Ramones are some of my favourite bands."

To be fair, I think that it's perfectly acceptable to start a sentence with a conjunction. That's just one of those archaic hierarchical grammar rules that can be skirted while still coherently conveying meaning.

Bad example. People is a plural noun, not a collective noun like public or band. You would say the American people are mad for voting for Trump
. You could also say that the American public is mad for voting for Trump for an example that's closer to what I'm talking about.
Yeah, you're right. I was in a hurry. Still, would you say for instance the Dodgers are a good team or the Dodgers is a good team? Not that I know anything about the Dodgers - could be **** for all I know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Dear god I hope not.

There's an implied pause after "So" that helps to prime the listener for the following sentence, whereas if you were just to jump into the sentence it might seem rather abrupt and awkward. I use "So" and similar words/phrases all the time because when I don't it just doesn't read as well.
I don't get that. People don't say (well the ones I've heard don't) "So ... this is what we do." They run the whole thing together. I know you said "implied" but I don't see how it is. Anyway, I hate it on general principles. Why would it seem awkward to jump right in? Consider these two sentences:
"I went to the shops and bought bread".
"So I went to the shops and bought bread."
How does the second one make the sentence any better, or more understandable or relatable? It's completely redundant, in most cases, to start any sentence with "so".

Inb4 anyone does this to annoy me..