Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2018, 08:24 AM   #101 (permalink)
Just Keep Swimming...
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: See signature...
Posts: 5,011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Just for that I'm going to ....

Oh! Oh! I forgot my number one hate! People (and everyone does it) starting a sentence with "so". Jesus ****ing Christ! So is a conjunction, or else an adverb, depending on which way you use it. But it's dependent on an earlier sentence or part of the sentence. "The shops were shut, so I couldn't buy milk" NOT "So what we do in this company is make pens." SHUT THE **** UP NOW YOU ****S!!!!


So much anger. Grrr.
__________________
See location...
Plankton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:42 AM   #102 (permalink)
I'm back, baby!
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In your face
Posts: 22,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Um...
Yeah, yeah. So you got me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
*the’ir
Whay're?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
**** that. Four people are; a company of hundreds is. I don't give a **** about the rule because sometimes the rule sounds awkward and bull**** and I'll break it as I see fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post

^ Actually, I'm pretty sure you can use either for words that refer to a single group with members that can be considered as individuals too:-
My family is/are crazy. The herd has/have moved on. The team is/are playing well.
More or less what I said, and yes, it does confuse me. Do you say "the American people are mad for voting in Trump" or "The American people is made for voting in Trump"? Either way, they're mad.
Quote:
"A cloud of particles" will always be single, because who cares about the personality of one particle ?
Don't be one of those particle haters now! Stephen H would not approve!


Quote:

^ Sorry to deflate your fury, Trollheart, but sometimes sentences can start with "so", especially in conversation. Your second sentence is fine in spoken English because the word "so" is an accepted "discourse marker". It is one of a group of words we use that don't mean much more than "I'm going to say something now".
Other common discourse markers are OK, Right, Well, and Now Then.
Yeah but it happens so () often. I see it on Dragons' Den: "Tell us about your third year predictions" - "So we expect to hit three million by year three." Or "How does this item work?" - "So you just plug it into any USB port..."

How does "so" work at all there? You could say the sentence without so and it would make as much, if not more, sense. It's too prevalent, I feel, and everyone is doing it now, almost without thinking about it, it seems.
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:04 AM   #103 (permalink)
be excellent 2 each other
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 31,978
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
^ Actually, I'm pretty sure you can use either for words that refer to a single group with members that can be considered as individuals too:-
My family is/are crazy. The herd has/have moved on. The team is/are playing well.
There's what you can do and there's what's right. Treating a single entity as plural is nonsensical to me.

"The Ramones are some of my favourite bands."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Yeah, yeah. So you got me.
To be fair, I think that it's perfectly acceptable to start a sentence with a conjunction. That's just one of those archaic hierarchical grammar rules that can be skirted while still coherently conveying meaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
More or less what I said, and yes, it does confuse me. Do you say "the American people are mad for voting in Trump" or "The American people is made for voting in Trump"? Either way, they're mad.
Bad example. People is a plural noun, not a collective noun like public or band. You would say the American people are mad for voting for Trump. You could also say that the American public is mad for voting for Trump for an example that's closer to what I'm talking about.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:03 AM   #104 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dirty Souf Biatch
Posts: 14,703
Default

Persons always sounds pretentious
OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:07 AM   #105 (permalink)
Fck Ths Thngs
 
DwnWthVwls's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
To be fair, I think that it's perfectly acceptable to start a sentence with a conjunction. That's just one of those archaic hierarchical grammar rules that can be skirted while still coherently conveying meaning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
There's what you can do and there's what's right.
...
__________________
I don't got a god complex, you got a simple god...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I'd vote for Trump
DwnWthVwls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:09 AM   #106 (permalink)
be excellent 2 each other
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 31,978
Default

Exactly. I start sentences with conjunctions and end them with prepositions as a protest against the bourgeoisie. It's my moral obligation.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:25 AM   #107 (permalink)
All day jazz and biscuits
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 40,235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
"The American people is made for voting in Trump"
Dear god I hope not.

Quote:
Yeah but it happens so () often. I see it on Dragons' Den: "Tell us about your third year predictions" - "So we expect to hit three million by year three." Or "How does this item work?" - "So you just plug it into any USB port..."

How does "so" work at all there? You could say the sentence without so and it would make as much, if not more, sense. It's too prevalent, I feel, and everyone is doing it now, almost without thinking about it, it seems.
There's an implied pause after "So" that helps to prime the listener for the following sentence, whereas if you were just to jump into the sentence it might seem rather abrupt and awkward. I use "So" and similar words/phrases all the time because when I don't it just doesn't read as well.
__________________
BRING ME THE HORIZON >>>> CHARLES MINGUS
i
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:55 AM   #108 (permalink)
Fck Ths Thngs
 
DwnWthVwls's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Exactly. I start sentences with conjunctions and end them with prepositions as a protest against the bourgeoisie. It's my moral obligation.
No argument from me. Those are your words.
__________________
I don't got a god complex, you got a simple god...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I'd vote for Trump
DwnWthVwls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:19 PM   #109 (permalink)
I'm back, baby!
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In your face
Posts: 22,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
There's what you can do and there's what's right. Treating a single entity as plural is nonsensical to me.

"The Ramones are some of my favourite bands."



To be fair, I think that it's perfectly acceptable to start a sentence with a conjunction. That's just one of those archaic hierarchical grammar rules that can be skirted while still coherently conveying meaning.



Bad example. People is a plural noun, not a collective noun like public or band. You would say the American people are mad for voting for Trump
. You could also say that the American public is mad for voting for Trump for an example that's closer to what I'm talking about.
Yeah, you're right. I was in a hurry. Still, would you say for instance the Dodgers are a good team or the Dodgers is a good team? Not that I know anything about the Dodgers - could be **** for all I know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Dear god I hope not.



There's an implied pause after "So" that helps to prime the listener for the following sentence, whereas if you were just to jump into the sentence it might seem rather abrupt and awkward. I use "So" and similar words/phrases all the time because when I don't it just doesn't read as well.
I don't get that. People don't say (well the ones I've heard don't) "So ... this is what we do." They run the whole thing together. I know you said "implied" but I don't see how it is. Anyway, I hate it on general principles. Why would it seem awkward to jump right in? Consider these two sentences:
"I went to the shops and bought bread".
"So I went to the shops and bought bread."
How does the second one make the sentence any better, or more understandable or relatable? It's completely redundant, in most cases, to start any sentence with "so".

Inb4 anyone does this to annoy me..
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:23 PM   #110 (permalink)
be excellent 2 each other
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 31,978
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Yeah, you're right. I was in a hurry. Still, would you say for instance the Dodgers are a good team or the Dodgers is a good team? Not that I know anything about the Dodgers - could be **** for all I know.
If I'm describing them as a team, I use the singular.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.