Music Banter - View Single Post - I hate grunge.
Thread: I hate grunge.
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2018, 05:21 AM   #85 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick1976 View Post
The "Hair Metal" era, roughly '83 to '92 or so, represents the last time Heavy Metal was truly relevant. It represents the last time rock was culturally 'dangerous' and also fun as a genre - when rockstars still roamed the Earth. I can see the negative thoughts people have about it - being too corporate and gimmicky. But It was a period when rock was good (for me anyway) and then by like 93 and on rock became depressing sounding with snarling growling singers who were depressed. What really separates Led Zeppelin, say, from "Hair Metal"?

Both had long hair. Both had over-the-top stage shows and self indulgent music videos. Both wore flashy costumes. Both sang about sex, drugs and rock n' roll and groupies.

Or for that matter, the 70s Stones. What separates them in any real way from Warrant? Basically "Hair Metal" became a term used by angry Gen X-ers to describe fun rock while they wallowed in self hating grunge nonsense.
Other than having talent, you mean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
One day I hope the mods can merge a 9 page thread into a parent thread that currently has a lively discussion going on just to screw with people.
And Hawk will want the babies aborted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilja View Post
Music is just about evolution. As I said, Heavy Metal is big here in Sweden. Was it big in the 80s? Yes. 90s yes. 00s? Yes. It all depends on where you are from?

Is Europe still big here? Yes, but not as big as they were in the 80s. Primarily because their music was just apart of a sound that was popular at the time? Were all their songs happy? Have you not heard their song "Cherokee"? Pretty much banned in the US if I remember right. Nelson's "After the Rain"? Not very happy. But on the whole , yes, Hair Metal was happy. But maybe people on the whole were not happy or looking for something to identify their generation from the previous one ie Alternative rock. Plus you had alternatives to alternative rock getting mainstream play then such as Industrial..but that is a whole nother subject.

Hair Metal was awesome. I am glad you found your genre. You don't have to like all genres of music. (And I am assuming the whole Eurodance phase of the 90s pretty much won't be mentioned here...although that was awesome people! )
*other; there's no such word as nother.

Also add Guns N Roses' "November Rain" as a non-happy song, and don't forget Bon Jovi's entire These Days album. Not a single happy song on that.