Music Banter - View Single Post - The Music Banter Members' Journals Monthly Update Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2018, 10:01 AM   #1102 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Default Classic Journals I Have Read: A Trollheart Production

On we go then with part two of Hawk's journal:

August opened with a harrowing comment on the murder of an entire village in Algeria, paired with music from Souad Massi before moving on to, um, “Seven Degrees to Kevin Bacon”?? Music from The Doors, Butthole Surfers and Satanic Circle. Then an emergency call for recognition for Kurt Bauer, whom you don't know and I don't know (and that's what makes Hawk so mad in this entry).

Much of the problem with Hawk's journal, as I see it anyway, is a lot of the time I do not have a scooby what the hell he is saying. Look at this quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
Those Who Know Darkness, See The Light

It wears you out. It doesn't make you stronger. It just wears you out. Blisters. Sores. Nerves. Exposed bone. Marrow. You're not sucking the marrow from life. Life is sucking the marrow from you.

You know. You know the brutality of misogyny. Misopedia. Is there a word for self-hatred?

Go back before time and give the universe an abortion. Crucifixion by vacuum. Space hates a vacuum.

Point. Counterpoint.
What the blue living ****? And I thought Blank's journal was off-the-wall!

Well, on we went with some sort of stunt by a band he never named (something to do with Trump and Comey) and then Marian Anderson, Henry Rollins and The Domestics, followed by Carl Ruggles. Time to celebrate the fortieth anniversary of the launch of the Voyager probe through the music of Clifford Brown, Steve Roach and Constance Demby. August then ended with Sister Rosetta Tharpe and a hilarious exchange, already featured in one of the previous updates as Funny Post of the Week, where Hawk lambasted the inability of the system to capitalise state abbreviations.

And so on to September, where we had Nirvana (not that one), Plurals and then an interview with Frownland about his Andaman album. This pretty much brought us close to the end of the month, and in the last week of same Hawk decided to look back at 2008, for no particular reason that I can discern, or that he could come up with, other than the traditional “why the **** not?” Starting off in typical Hawk style, he remarked on the war in the Congo, where ”You couldn't swing a dead child without hitting a freshly raped corpse.” Real turn of phrase, this man! Music included the Magnetic Fields, Max Corbacho, Agalloch, Thom Brennan and then some pretty graphic pictures (surprised the Google SS didn't get those) and a mention of I think Fritzl, the monster of Austria. On to school shootings with music from Opeth and then Alpha Wave Movement, and what he said was a “contender” for AOTY for 2008, As Soon As Possible by Vincent Courtois, Sylvie Courvoisier and Ellery Eskelin. Misery Index, Cliteater and Girl talk wrapped up September, with words on famine and Obama. More music before we headed into October, this time from Alio Die, Fennesz, Mathias Grassow & Jiří Mazánek, and a final karate chop to the neck of Pitchfork couped with a kick in Goofle's balls. More to come!