Music Banter - View Single Post - Is violence ever the answer?
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2018, 10:07 PM   #167 (permalink)
OccultHawk
one-balled nipple jockey

I watched it just now. I’ve heard Harris say all that same stuff already.

Dillahunty and Harris want to place religious codes with some kind of new secular humanist/ atheist based morality. If that caught on their names would be cemented with names like Martin Luther and Voltaire and Hammurabi.

But it’s not going to catch on because of a few reasons. 1) Harris and Co. are out of their depth. Harris is fun but he’s a pop-philosopher. What Michio Kaku and Neil deGrasse Tyson are to science, Harris and Pederson are to philosophy. They’re celebrities but Harris really wants to be taken seriously. He’s fun. I like him but he and Dillahunty are not going to redefine morality under a new atheistic code. The well-being idea is vague to the point of near meaninglessness. Pederson was destroying him even at the most fundamental level that it’s not a given that life is preferable to death.

I recommend being wary of these guys, Lawrence Kraus included, who want to be these like atheist leaders. Kraus’ book, Universe from Nothing, was an embarrassing overreach.

Well-being as a concept to strive for is worthless unless it has applications. And it’s just dull to try to replace religion with a codified form of atheism. I have no sense of allegiance to other people who DON’T believe something. And Sam Harris sure as **** isn’t someone I see as a leader. I don’t want any kind of leader but least of all a guru for my atheism. I don’t need to be guided through not believing.

2016 2017 2018 2019 2020

Member of the Year & Journal of the Year Champion

Behold the Writing of THE LEGEND:

https://www.musicbanter.com/members-...p-lighter.html

OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote