Music Banter - View Single Post - Skanking
Thread: Skanking
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2018, 12:57 PM   #30 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

^The background music in the video isn't what I expected.

It reminds me of two things, one: the Pony, & two: how they use to dance in Ska bands. I am not sure when and where the term originated. But it seems it evolved and cross genres. Ben Carr from the Mighty Mighty Bosstones has been accused of "skanking," but I don't know if that is what they called it back in the 70s.

In Ska, I guess it can range from the very subtle (like Ranking Roger) to more elaborate ways (like the whole Selecter band). The Mighty Mighty Bosstones always seem like a Two-tone revival band, and took everything they could from those bands, even their dance moves. I guess it takes America a decade and half to wake up to what's happening in the UK? nah j/k ("I kid, I am a kidder.")

The Beat - Tears Of A Clown (Top Of The Pops 1979)

The Selecter - On My Radio (1979)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCHMO View Post
Skanking is just dancing. It goes as far back as the original dance hall days where people would dance quite normally to the music, quite well but quite normally.
^ This could be the "Shimmy."

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCHMO View Post
It is not, as all-nite said, running in place & flailing your arms. Its also not what you do in a circle pit. Its just dancing, pure and simple.
^ This could possibly be the "Windmill."

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote