Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2018, 12:58 PM   #13337 (permalink)
rubber soul
Call me Mustard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
It's kinda ****ty that people have to behave like that just because they disagree politically. I'm not American, so I can't really tell how bad it is really is out there in "the real world", but it seems like your nation is horribly divided when just judging on the general atmosphere on the internet.

I couldn't ever imagine that kind of behavior among my own countrymen, even if people who vote for the completely opposing parties met in the same room. A basic sense of tolerance and respect seems to be missing in the US - or at least to be somewhat diminishing... thoughts from any US residents?
I think something happened when Clinton was elected. Before that, the US was reasonably civil despite some major disagreements. The right's hatred of Clinton for other than political reasons, I think, began the dysfunction. It only got worse when Newt Gingrich became Speaker of the House, giving the Left someone to hate. It seemed more important for both parties to stay in power than doing anything constructive. After Clinton, venom from the left would be thrown towards Bush, mostly because of the ill advised Iraq War, and the right outdid themselves with Obama who unwittingly proved simply by the color of his skin that racism indeed still exists in America. The hatred towards him made the hatred towards Clinton look like a minor squabble. Now we have Trump who knows as much about politics as the Upper Class Twit of the Year. In any event, all we're capable of doing now is demonizing each other on Facebook. It doesn't make for a bright future.
rubber soul is offline   Reply With Quote