Music Banter - View Single Post - Emo Class
Thread: Emo Class
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2006, 12:46 AM   #189 (permalink)
Don
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill
Question, Don do you have any opinion on emo outside of this one "scholar journal"? Cause all i've seen is you generating your entire opinion on a genre from one article. Which is kind of weak...

Here are some links you should try and disapprove and fix ya' know cause they're wrong and I just wanna see how they're totally wrong.

http://fourfa.com
http://www.musicbanter.com/showthread.php?t=7002
http://www.musicbanter.com/showthread.php?t=13388

Shouldn't be hard since this scholar journal is so well done for you to disprove these aye?
I think I've mentioned it at least three times that that article was just ONE reference I used.
Notice how your links are just random people's opinions, I've already pointed this out before too.

Quote:
Hey, it would be kind of cool if you could actually list how it shows and in which tracks. Ya know like *insert song here* you can obviously here inlfluneces from *insert band here* in the screaming/guitaring/drumming etc.. Instead of just going "Oh well they do cause I say so and I don't need to bring up any facts to back this up." Back up your post with facts and maybe people will start to take you more seriously.
But you see, I don't need to, I already explained that most of the tracks have traces of emo is them, but since you don't believe in my (the) definition of emo, then there's no point is there?

Quote:
See now this post is completely inaccurate, you dismiss nearly every band that laid the foundations of emo regardless of which you consider emo.
Ermmm, no I didn't, I mentioned the three most important artists in defining emo.

Quote:
You basically dismiss the entire screamo genre off.
Because we're talking about emo.

Quote:
I fail to see how this "punk-pop" is closely related to emo.
Because you don't know what one side of emo is. If you just understood that, you'd finally realise you're wrong.

Quote:
Then again with your logic, anberlin is emo and they sound the same as simple plan.
Yep, I'd consider Anberlin to be part emo, and you need your ears checked if you think they sound like Simple Plan.

Quote:
Acutally have you heard untitled by simple plan? That song is emo according to your standards, even though it has 0 punk elements or hardcore elements.
There are no Simple Plan songs that are emo.

Quote:
Also could you define indie-rock? I was pretty sure indie-rock was just rock group on an indepedent label which isn't a genre because it doesn't like the bands through actual sound. I've never known what "alternative rock is" i've always been told its alternative to mainstream rock, but I havn't bothered to ask around and look so I am not exactly going to stand by that.
Sort of. Indie-rock is a style that incorporated rock with weird music techniques that makes it incompatible with the mainstream. Alternative rock used to be the same but because of Nirvana, it hit the mainstream.

Quote:
I'm going to quote some of these "emo" lyrics.
Quote all you like, I never said the lyrics were the defining element. And I don't consider MCR to be emo, just post-hardcore.

Quote:
This post is completely ignorant and fictional. I own the album, and you didn't even bother checking as to whether or not anyone else did. I have each used album. They're pop-punk with screaming, some tracks have slight hardcore elements but hardly enough to be considered emotionally driven hardcore.
Of course I didn't actually think no one had heard that album, I was just kidding and I didn't pull apart specific tracks because it would have made the post drawn-out. I'm glad you admit that some tracks have slight hardcore elements, you're almost there.

Quote:
See this makes me laugh, because you basically say hardcore isn't anything by saying theres no difference between saying emo is short for emotional and emo is short for emotionaly hardcore. Theres a huge difference.
For the second time I was just saying that someone can say emotional music when he actually meant emotional hardcore. It's not the same as saying "This music is emotional," now that's a huge difference.

Quote:
Now i've heard rites of spring's first album. As stated before I don't really think indie-rock is a proper genre.
Well it is a style, look it up.

Quote:
Its about as accurate of a definition as this supposed "emotional music" its too vast to be considered a genre.
You misunderstood me.

Quote:
Also you said, rites of spring we're the first emo band, but they only had a few emo tracks. Wouldn't that mean they just put out the first emo songs, and weren't technically the first emo band, but in the post you also said they were. That contradicts itself, and also judging by your definition rites of spring wasn't the first one to do emo, Barry Manilow came before him and by your standards he was emo and their is probaly there was probaly alot more people before him playing emo.
Now you're nitpicking on my wording. I should have said they were the first band to play emo music, happy? Barry Manilow? That better be a joke. You really don't understand my concept of emo.

Quote:
Just going by your standards. You're whole arguement is sketchy and poorly done as best.
Uh no, I've properly told you exactly what emo is, it's just that you don't agree with it so you think my argument is sketchy. Actually, I don't even consider this to be arguing, because I know what emo is and all I'm trying to do is tell you.
Quote:
But hey, if you wanna make it in the music industry you're on the right path. Keep going with whatever sells and believe everything you see on MTV.
I've hardly ever watched any music channel in my life.

Quote:
Assuming you can do that without your precious article, i'd like to see you stand on your own two feet in this arguement instead of just saying READ THE SCHOLAR JOURNAL.
I never once said that. Read back on my posts, I said that that was just one reference I've used. I feel like a broken record.

Quote:
Another thing, I think scholar journals are great for math, scienece etc... But they're kind of weak for music, art etc...Thats just my stance though. You're whole arguement once again has been lame, you've hardly been able to stand on you're own two feet and shock-shock people who know what they're talking about have been able to!
But you see, the thing is, you're wrong, so naturally you think I don't know what I'm talking about. The difference is I don't resort to calling you a ****ing idiot and saying you don't know what you're talking about over and over.

Quote:
P.S. Don't be afraid to admit you're wrong on some points (or all) I doubt anyone will dog you constantly for it and treat you like crap. I'd personally think more of you for admitting to what you we're wrong then continuing to fight a lost battle.
Believe me, I've been wrong and admitted it before on several occasions. It doesn't bother me at all, but what we're talking about here is pure fact. But okay let me pose this to you so we can finally agree on something. Let's agree that your definition of emo was right, but you have just failed to realise that the definition has changed over time, and it's extremely hard to pick up on exactly what is and isn't emo right now.