Music Banter - View Single Post - What Drives You?
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2018, 04:35 PM   #36 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
It's definitely perfectly human. I just think that one has to be careful with hinging too much on that approval/feeling of approval.

For example: I write music and make small games. If wanting to be seen as someone who is good at that was my main motivation, it would really screw with the enjoyment of working on those things and my motivation could be killed off if people said I sucked at it. If it's mostly internally motivated, I'll keep doing it just because I enjoy the process and any eventual approval is just sort of a bonus that doesn't really mess with my motivations for why I'm doing this.

Of course, in general, I would like to be seen as a nice and competent person, but the less you worry about that, the easier it is to be happy.
Gong off of this, I hate that (in America at least), everyone is always pressuring people into turning their hobbies into careers.

"Play an instrument? Oh, so what shows do you do, you trying to get on a label? Make birdhouses? Nice! Do you sell that **** on etsy? How can you enjoy something without money behind it?"

Some people will never understand the catharsis of just doing ****.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote