Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Green Day punk or nah?
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2018, 07:12 AM   #452 (permalink)
rubber soul
Call me Mustard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
Even grumpy old me. I mean, sure, I don't rank Sabbath albums like most would and I don't listen to them much, but I've still got a handful on my shelf.

Zep, Beatles, Floyd... they're all quite old bands by now. A lot has happened in music since and people of my age and younger didn't grow up with them like the 60's generation did. Disregarding historical context (which I always insist on doing), I can't really say that any of them seem that special to me. Especially the Beatles. Pink Floyd might have a few albums I could see myself getting into with time. Some of their earlier stuff was pretty interesting and very atmospheric.
Some of it I'm sure is generational. My generation looked down on Elvis Presley even when he died.

But there is a historical context to all these artists and some that predate even Presley. If it wasn't for Elvis, the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, et al (and I guess we should also add Bob Dylan to the mix), we probably wouldn't be here talking about the bands we talk about today. Maybe this would just be a Sinatra fanboy forum.
rubber soul is offline   Reply With Quote