Is Green Day punk or nah? - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Punk
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2018, 07:59 AM   #451 (permalink)
SOPHIE FOREVER
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East of the Southern North American West
Posts: 35,548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
The fact that it's considered kind of weird if you don't kiss the asses of those bands is exactly what's so annoying about them. I don't have to think they made good music and I don't. It's pretty uncontroversial if you don't like all sorts of bands, but the moment you don't bow down before the altar of the Beatles, you get those "Bodysnatchers" stares.
Shouldn't you separate the music from the fanbase though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber soul View Post
It isn't just the Beatles. Chula takes a lot of grief here because he happens to be a Zeppelin fan boy. Someone could come on here extolling the virtues of the Who and he'll probably get booed off the stage. I'm amazed Pink Floyd hasn't been trashed here given their legendary status.
#sanctimoniousbanter

I love at least a few albums from all of those artists. Mondo posts about The Who. We boo people off of the stage for being boring schmucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Pink Floyd are being trashed regularly.

Everyone loves Black Sabbath, though. Literally everybody. So it might not just be about being against popular stuff. Maybe, just maybe, Beatles, Zep and PF do kinda suck or at least are quite a bit overrated.
Dingdingdingdingdingding
__________________
Studies show that when a given norm is changed in the face of the unchanging, the remaining contradictions will parallel the truth.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:12 AM   #452 (permalink)
Call me Mustard
 
rubber soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Pepperland
Posts: 2,642
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
Even grumpy old me. I mean, sure, I don't rank Sabbath albums like most would and I don't listen to them much, but I've still got a handful on my shelf.

Zep, Beatles, Floyd... they're all quite old bands by now. A lot has happened in music since and people of my age and younger didn't grow up with them like the 60's generation did. Disregarding historical context (which I always insist on doing), I can't really say that any of them seem that special to me. Especially the Beatles. Pink Floyd might have a few albums I could see myself getting into with time. Some of their earlier stuff was pretty interesting and very atmospheric.
Some of it I'm sure is generational. My generation looked down on Elvis Presley even when he died.

But there is a historical context to all these artists and some that predate even Presley. If it wasn't for Elvis, the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, et al (and I guess we should also add Bob Dylan to the mix), we probably wouldn't be here talking about the bands we talk about today. Maybe this would just be a Sinatra fanboy forum.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet_Sounds View Post
But looking for quality interaction on MB is like trying to stay hydrated by drinking salt water.
rubber soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:48 AM   #453 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Aalborg
Posts: 7,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Shouldn't you separate the music from the fanbase though?
Absolutely, but it's probably a little bit hard at times with bands that have huge and obnoxious fanbases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber soul View Post
Some of it I'm sure is generational. My generation looked down on Elvis Presley even when he died.

But there is a historical context to all these artists and some that predate even Presley. If it wasn't for Elvis, the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, et al (and I guess we should also add Bob Dylan to the mix), we probably wouldn't be here talking about the bands we talk about today. Maybe this would just be a Sinatra fanboy forum.
There is a historical context of course, but what I'm arguing is that that should not play into my view of a given band. If anything, I'd say I'm being very, very fair by listening to the Beatles as if they were just a bunch of nobodies. Doesn't make them sound any better or worse that they played a part in rock and pop music history.

I'm just cutting the hype out of the equation - letting my ears judge them rather than any weird feeling that I "should" like them because they're "important" or whatever. It's out of respect to the music.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:23 AM   #454 (permalink)
.
 
grindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: .
Posts: 7,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
Even grumpy old me. I mean, sure, I don't rank Sabbath albums like most would and I don't listen to them much, but I've still got a handful on my shelf.

Zep, Beatles, Floyd... they're all quite old bands by now. A lot has happened in music since and people of my age and younger didn't grow up with them like the 60's generation did. Disregarding historical context (which I always insist on doing), I can't really say that any of them seem that special to me. Especially the Beatles. Pink Floyd might have a few albums I could see myself getting into with time. Some of their earlier stuff was pretty interesting and very atmospheric.
Who cares about bands being old or not? There's tons of stuff from the sixties that still sounds as mind-blowing as ever.
__________________
A smell of petroleum prevails throughout.
grindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:07 AM   #455 (permalink)
Jacob Sartorius
 
Blank.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Dank memes
Posts: 4,034
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber soul View Post
It isn't just the Beatles. Chula takes a lot of grief here because he happens to be a Zeppelin fan boy. Someone could come on here extolling the virtues of the Who and he'll probably get booed off the stage. I'm amazed Pink Floyd hasn't been trashed here given their legendary status.

Anyway, it doesn't matter if it's the Beatles or Led Zeppelin or the Bonzo Doo Dah Dog Band. If they're good, they're good. Popularity doesn't weigh into it. At least not to me.
I disagree. Chula doesn't get **** for being a Fanboy, he gets **** for not shutting up about it.

I'm a Fanboy of the following members of the official MB shitlist, Slipknot, Tool, and Nu Metal in general. No one gives me **** bout it really. Why? Cause I don't bring it up constantly.
Blank. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:11 AM   #456 (permalink)
SOPHIE FOREVER
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East of the Southern North American West
Posts: 35,548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber soul View Post
Maybe this would just be a Sinatra fanboy forum.
We would be ****ting on Sinatra, keep up with your own narrative.
__________________
Studies show that when a given norm is changed in the face of the unchanging, the remaining contradictions will parallel the truth.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:23 AM   #457 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 48,215
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber soul View Post
It isn't just the Beatles. Chula takes a lot of grief here because he happens to be a Zeppelin fan boy. Someone could come on here extolling the virtues of the Who and he'll probably get booed off the stage. I'm amazed Pink Floyd hasn't been trashed here given their legendary status.

Anyway, it doesn't matter if it's the Beatles or Led Zeppelin or the Bonzo Doo Dah Dog Band. If they're good, they're good. Popularity doesn't weigh into it. At least not to me.
Plenty of people on this site ride all of those bands' dicks. You're imagining things. We're just not Rolling Stone Magazine.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:29 AM   #458 (permalink)
.
 
grindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: .
Posts: 7,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank. View Post
I disagree. Chula doesn't get **** for being a Fanboy, he gets **** for not shutting up about it.

I'm a Fanboy of the following members of the official MB shitlist, Slipknot, Tool, and Nu Metal in general. No one gives me **** bout it really. Why? Cause I don't bring it up constantly.
But now that you have: **** you and **** those ****ty-ass bands.
__________________
A smell of petroleum prevails throughout.
grindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:33 AM   #459 (permalink)
Jacob Sartorius
 
Blank.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Dank memes
Posts: 4,034
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
But now that you have: **** you and **** those ****ty-ass bands.
Where you been? It was no secret.
Blank. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:36 AM   #460 (permalink)
.
 
grindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: .
Posts: 7,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank. View Post
Where you been? It was no secret.
Oh, I've known.
Pretty sure I've already given you **** for Tool and Slipknot.
Just wanted to use the opportunity. <3
__________________
A smell of petroleum prevails throughout.
grindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2024 Advameg, Inc.