Music Banter - View Single Post - Favorite bands and WHY
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2006, 01:21 PM   #56 (permalink)
soundgardenrox
Music Addict

Dinosaur Jr.- For a trio to be so melodic is insane. Plus who would expect an old alt. rock band to have a guitarist who could solo beyond the pentatonic? Plus, Jay Mascis and Lou Barlow create some of the most deep lyrics but yet simplistic. They have such melody yet can be heavy and hypnotic all at once. Jay Mascis's voice isn't the best, but again, its an alt. rock band and it's not about the vocals but the music and what he is saying.

Mars Volta- These guys must have taken some extreme drugs, because their music is beyond me. When I heard Deloused, I thought how could it be better? Frances the Mute proved me wrong. Omar can be as sloppy as hell but still a virtuoso at guitar. Cedric, well Cedric is just the second coming of Robert Plant. Plus the lyrics they comprise are flat out crazy but meaningful. Jon Theodore, the drummer, he is the sickest drummer you have ever heard, I wouldn't be surprised if he was better than Bonham at the same age. Ikey Owens creates a great ambience for Omar and Cedric to unleash their fury. Absolutley freakish. There isn't much more I can say, except, listen and be amazed.
soundgardenrox is offline   Reply With Quote