Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rock & Metal
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2006, 02:04 PM   #51 (permalink)
Modern Drummer
 
Soundgardener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzak
Green Day- Funny thing is, the only reason why I like them so much is because I simply like alot of thier songs.
Why is that funny?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Mr Bungle >>> Your soul
Soundgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 02:16 PM   #52 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Muzak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,050
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgardener
Why is that funny?
Not like ha ha funny but amusing since the thread stater wants a reason and I cant think of any.
Muzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 02:19 PM   #53 (permalink)
Modern Drummer
 
Soundgardener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzak
Not like ha ha funny but amusing since the thread stater wants a reason and I cant think of any.
Yeah I know not haha funny. That's the reason most people like the bands that they do though... Nevermind.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Mr Bungle >>> Your soul
Soundgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 02:30 PM   #54 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Muzak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,050
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgardener
Yeah I know not haha funny. That's the reason most people like the bands that they do though... Nevermind.
You're weird.
Muzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 03:25 PM   #55 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Led Zeppelin - Reasons you say?...I have four, Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, John Bonham and John Paul Jones...Maybe not the best ensemble in terms of technical ability, but f*ck technical ability, like them or not, this band represented the 70s, i would cut my penis off just to have been there and see them live... The fact these guys are in my top 5 may come as a shock to those who think i would be into more sophisticated artists, but to hell with that too, Zeppelin rocked hard, but were very progressive and experiemental as well...Few bands can go from the proto punk of Communication Breakdown to a complex, beautiful ballad like Ten Years Gone...They were all fantastic musicians and performers, and unlike many bands they could both compromise and improvise, they could have composed a 20 minute symphonic rock suite if they wanted to, but they chose to play like wild animals, paving the way for metal and punk in the future.
Pink Floyd - Unlike most progressive rock bands, Pink Floyd were not really virtuoso musicians (Waters and Mason were inexperienced, Gilmour rarely did anything out of the minor pentatonic scale) but unlike their peers they could channel their music into places no other band could, they could be complex and enchanting without being technical and their music could be really beautiful and deep without being corny or sentimental...Barrett was a mad genius who burned out way too soon, but unlike most bands who would break up if their primary creative force left the band, Pink Floyd kept making music, and amazingly they evolved from a underground, unknown garage band to stadium rock super gods, Roger Waters lyrics hit a deep chord that no other 70s arena rock band could touch, and David Gilmour was no shredder by any means, but he played his guitar like it was some kind of spirital entity, his solos were like messages from the heavens (corny as hell i know, buts that the best way to describe it), just one note from his guitar leaves all technical wankers like Cooley and Batio in the dust...Like The Beatles they were a very versatile band, that could go from the kind of mellow pyschedelia that they were best known for to something like The Nile Song, walls of wild guitar noise that was basicly heavy metal before it even existed, and like The Beatles every album they made was a complete shock...Pink Floyd had me hooked first time i heard DSOTM, i have never fully recovered from the trance it put me in when i first listened to it...The Wall was the bands turning point, where they went for a darker, more rock oriented sound, they turned their backs on prog and never looked back, and bravely stood up against all the punk bands who considered them washed up dinosaurs, and they made one of the greatest albums of all time as a result.
The Who - This really goes without saying, when Rock N Roll died, The Who manged by inventing rock, they define everything rock music is about, and they embody everything music could be, energetic, powerful, rebelious, raw, beautiful, deep, emotional, colorful, experiemental, simple AND complex, punk AND progressive and of course, fun...Few bands could capture all those elements, but The Who could, hell, they could cram all those qualitys into ONE song, who else can do that?...And they were such a influence on so many bands, the power chord may have been around before The Who, but it was Townshend who made it a hard rock staple...They are probably the only band who had a deep influence on the development metal, punk AND prog...They always tried new things, went from simple, loud as hell pop songs like My Generation and I Can See For Miles And Miles in the mid 60s to more complex pieces of music in the late 60s and eary 70s with Tommy and Quadrophena and then arena rock gods with Whos Next and Live At Leeds...Most importantly, they had that f*ck everything attitude that The Sex Pistols would eventualy bring to the next level.

Sorry for the history lessions, i tried to be brief and short but dammit, im a ranter, its in my blood.

I could do so much more but im tired.


More to come.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 02:21 PM   #56 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 166
Default

Dinosaur Jr.- For a trio to be so melodic is insane. Plus who would expect an old alt. rock band to have a guitarist who could solo beyond the pentatonic? Plus, Jay Mascis and Lou Barlow create some of the most deep lyrics but yet simplistic. They have such melody yet can be heavy and hypnotic all at once. Jay Mascis's voice isn't the best, but again, its an alt. rock band and it's not about the vocals but the music and what he is saying.

Mars Volta- These guys must have taken some extreme drugs, because their music is beyond me. When I heard Deloused, I thought how could it be better? Frances the Mute proved me wrong. Omar can be as sloppy as hell but still a virtuoso at guitar. Cedric, well Cedric is just the second coming of Robert Plant. Plus the lyrics they comprise are flat out crazy but meaningful. Jon Theodore, the drummer, he is the sickest drummer you have ever heard, I wouldn't be surprised if he was better than Bonham at the same age. Ikey Owens creates a great ambience for Omar and Cedric to unleash their fury. Absolutley freakish. There isn't much more I can say, except, listen and be amazed.
soundgardenrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 06:48 PM   #57 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
under's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,056
Default

Linkin park-good music and sound

Metallica-good music structure

H.I.M-good meanings to their music and the way they write their music

Queen-just fun to listen to
under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 06:52 PM   #58 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Roxboro, NC
Posts: 15
Default

NINE INCH NAILS-I don't think any other artist can capture the emotion of rage, loss and anger and translate it into music the way that Trent Reznor can. His songs can be beautiful or a sonic mess but either way, they have a touch of genius in them, both lyrically and sonically!
__________________
I still recall the taste of your tears
Echoing your voice just like the ringing in my ears
My favorite dreams of you still wash ashore
Scraping through my head till I don't want to sleep anymore!
Reznorlsave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 06:55 PM   #59 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
under's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,056
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgardener
Why is that funny?
I don't understand how that could be humorous or even funny in your words
under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 08:38 PM   #60 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 33
Default

Tool - Maynard = best vocals ever
Dream Theater - I just like them, but i would like to slap James Labrie for his solo album
Opeth - Damnation is a great album
Ytse Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.