Music Banter - View Single Post - Brits Vs Yanks
Thread: Brits Vs Yanks
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2006, 04:02 PM   #164 (permalink)
Expletive Deleted
Dancing Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger
Well who?

If there are any around i`ve certainly not heard them lately , like I said i`m not saying there isn`t any around i`m saying that if they were British they would have a lot more attention more quickly because the British music industry and British audiences are more open to it.Which was the basis of my original post anyway.
I think Britain benefits from being a much smaller country than the US. Here things that are wildly popular in one part of the nation could be completely unknown elsewhere. I don't know if this happens in the UK as well (it probably does), but in a country so large it's much more apparent.

As for British audiences being more open to new things, it's no surprise that America is a much more conservative nation. Not just in regards to religion or politics or anything like that, most Americans don't like change at all, even in things like music. Where British music as a whole is constantly changing, American movements happen on a much smaller scale, and usually don't reach the mainstream. This makes it appear as if American music is stagnant, when it's really not. Even in Indie, it would some that 80s influenced and Garage-ish bands are still the big thing, when Indie is leaning further and further towards being more experimental. Noise is getting bigger, Indie Rock is generally less "boring" (even I'll admit that a majority of Indie Rock bands are boring as hell), more Americans are embracing music from outside North America and the UK, etc.
Expletive Deleted is offline   Reply With Quote