Music Banter - View Single Post - The Jamal Khashoggi case
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2018, 10:20 AM   #18 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post

Here’s what you need to know:

*Saudi Arabia will continue to fuel America
*The relationship will not change
*The American people will forget shortly
*Saudi royalty will continue to do as they please
*Saudi Arabia will continue to be one of the most oppressive societies in the world
*America will continue to be the greediest country in the world
*The truth will continue to be irrelevant

You can learn the details or not. Demand justice or not. Protest or not. Vote or not. Nothing you do is going to matter.
^ Except for the bit in bold I agree with OH's analysis, esp that the relationship between S Arabia and the West isn't going to change much any time soon. For a bit of perspective, here's the Queen being chummy with the Saudi's in the 1980s, even though their human rights record was just as bad, and just as well-known:-

At least with the Queen, she has perfected the art of acting politely and being disdainful at the same time, unlike Laughing Boy Pompeo who bounces around like a kid who's been allowed into the clown's house.

Other differences this time round:-
* Saudis have breached the accepted etiquette about what countries can do in their embassies. All embassies on foreign soil are there as a gesture of international goodwill: if I was Turkey, I'd close down the Saudi embassy because of their abuse of hospitality.
* The billions of trade dollars that Trump talks about aren't real. The numbers are wrong, the deals don't exist, etc. Instead of selling out on justice for US trade, Trump and Kushner are prob focused on their personal financial schemes with the Saudis, bringing a new level of veniality to international politics.
* Only Trump is so diplomatically crass that he's "doing Saudi Arabia's PR for them" by promoting a fatuous explanation of who killed poor old Jamal K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasss View Post
Isn't there something about a representative democracy, especially the american one, where the constituents can get in touch with their representatives or civil rights pressure groups which could influence members of the parliament/congress to re-evaluate the status-quo? Lindsey Graham for example isn't toeing the line. Why not others? :occasional optimist:
^ Yep, I absolutely agree, adidasss. Voting still brings about change in the US. Vote for parties that promote green energy solutions and the Saudi Oil bogeyman will see his stranglehold on the West declining.

There's already been a debate on MB about Should people vote?. IMO the answer is Yes! Look at the results it has produced: it was voting that overturned Prohibition; it was voting that put a black man in the Oval office. How unthinkable was that 150 years back?!! I would advise anyone: vote, be patient, then vote again. Don't waste your democratic right just because there's no instant gratification.