Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Religious/Political Debate Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2006, 08:06 PM   #1167 (permalink)
jr.
Seeker of Peace

It is smaller now than it was 20, 30, 40 years ago, obviously. People are a lot more tolerant of one another, and that comes with the education of today's generation. N**ger was a word used a lot when I was a ckid. I heard it almost daily, and said it just as much. I'm not proud of it, but I won't deny it. It was what I grew up with. The late 60's and early 70s. And even then, it wasn't as bad as the decade before that, and before that.

I grew older, and learned, though.

Heck, my kids didn't even know the word until they heard it on MTV. I remember distictly, when my son was around 6 or so, saying he was going two houses down to play with Darryl. I asked him who Darryl was, and he said "My brown friend". I mean, as far as Luke (my son) was concerned, the only difference between Darryl and his other friends was, his hair was curly. LOL.

Race is a non-issue in my home, because we've never made it an issue, especially where my kids are concerned.