Music Banter - View Single Post - Universal Basic Income or Class Warfare
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2018, 09:51 PM   #561 (permalink)
[MERIT]
Account Disabled

Lightbulb

Lots of countries have implemented UBI on some scale and have seen great success with the program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
who the **** is going to live on 1k a month

why not take that money and put it into infrastructure and create jobs that pay enough to live off of

or pay for college for everyone

or do a 100 other more useful things than write a check that goes to a lot of people don't actually need it
So under this model, you're not allowed to work and gain money on top of your basic income?

Because that's f*cked up. But I'm pretty sure that no one is saying that.

I'm for UBI, as long as we change the monetary system and take control away from the central banks and let the government issuing the UBI print debt-free currency.

Quote:
but on the topic of fossil fuels

moving off of them into green energy is again something that should be prioritized over this form of UBI
I agree that weening off of fossil fuels is more important in the long run, but who says that we can't do both?

Quote:
this could be accomplished by having the gov mandate you a higher pay
I like the idea of being paid more money, who doesn't? But paying burger flippers and fry cooks $15/hour will double the price of the food. It already costs me almost $10 USD to eat at McDonalds. I refuse to pay twice that for their sh!tty food.

Government intervention isn't always the ace that people make it out to be. We should cut back national spending [especially military] and use the saved money to build up our infrastructure, passing tax reforms that make it possible for business owners to pay their workers more, without government mandates, by cutting the cost of living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
Unless you’re talking about cutting military spending by at least 99% you can **** off.

If you just pulled food stamps and disability from people who wanted cold cash instead

We need those safeguards for people who can’t budget at all or are vulnerable to the vampiric criminal sector that keeps an eagle eye out for people to exploit.

Out of all the ****ing ways to pay for it - taking food stamps and disability? ****ing Christ
I don't know about cutting military spending by 99%, but a HUGE cut needs to be done for, sure.

Food stamp eligibility is based on income. If you get UBI, it would most likely de facto make you ineligible for food stamps. Under disability, you are only allowed to earn a certain amount each month on top of your disability. UBI would count toward that amount, and any difference would be deducted from your disability payments, I assume.

Quote:
Capitalism needs to be destroyed not reformed.
Capitalism isn't inherently bad, but when it's governed by bad people with bad interests and devolves into Corporatism, then it needs to be gutted and we can start over.

Quote:
“Universal” means everyone in the family gets a grand, too.
In the countries that I have studied, UBI only applied to adults.
[MERIT] is offline   Reply With Quote