Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2018, 10:51 PM   #561 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
[MERIT]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 4,824
Lightbulb

Lots of countries have implemented UBI on some scale and have seen great success with the program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
who the **** is going to live on 1k a month

why not take that money and put it into infrastructure and create jobs that pay enough to live off of

or pay for college for everyone

or do a 100 other more useful things than write a check that goes to a lot of people don't actually need it
So under this model, you're not allowed to work and gain money on top of your basic income?

Because that's f*cked up. But I'm pretty sure that no one is saying that.

I'm for UBI, as long as we change the monetary system and take control away from the central banks and let the government issuing the UBI print debt-free currency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
but on the topic of fossil fuels

moving off of them into green energy is again something that should be prioritized over this form of UBI
I agree that weening off of fossil fuels is more important in the long run, but who says that we can't do both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
this could be accomplished by having the gov mandate you a higher pay
I like the idea of being paid more money, who doesn't? But paying burger flippers and fry cooks $15/hour will double the price of the food. It already costs me almost $10 USD to eat at McDonalds. I refuse to pay twice that for their sh!tty food.

Government intervention isn't always the ace that people make it out to be. We should cut back national spending [especially military] and use the saved money to build up our infrastructure, passing tax reforms that make it possible for business owners to pay their workers more, without government mandates, by cutting the cost of living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
Unless youíre talking about cutting military spending by at least 99% you can **** off.

If you just pulled food stamps and disability from people who wanted cold cash instead

We need those safeguards for people who canít budget at all or are vulnerable to the vampiric criminal sector that keeps an eagle eye out for people to exploit.

Out of all the ****ing ways to pay for it - taking food stamps and disability? ****ing Christ
I don't know about cutting military spending by 99%, but a HUGE cut needs to be done for, sure.

Food stamp eligibility is based on income. If you get UBI, it would most likely de facto make you ineligible for food stamps. Under disability, you are only allowed to earn a certain amount each month on top of your disability. UBI would count toward that amount, and any difference would be deducted from your disability payments, I assume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
Capitalism needs to be destroyed not reformed.
Capitalism isn't inherently bad, but when it's governed by bad people with bad interests and devolves into Corporatism, then it needs to be gutted and we can start over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
ďUniversalĒ means everyone in the family gets a grand, too.
In the countries that I have studied, UBI only applied to adults.
[MERIT] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 12:21 AM   #562 (permalink)
Girls,Cars,Guitars
 
elphenor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 8,908
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by [MERIT] View Post

But paying burger flippers and fry cooks $15/hour will double the price of the food. It already costs me almost $10 USD to eat at McDonalds. I refuse to pay twice that for their sh!tty food.

tax reforms that make it possible for business owners to pay their workers more, without government mandates, by cutting the cost of living.
no it doesn't, as evidenced by the cities that already have passed minimum wage increases

you can't inflate prices because consumers will buy less, you have to cut the profits of shareholders

inversely when you cut taxes very little of that money makes it to workers, most of it is pocketed by shareholders
__________________
Just another marketing ploy
Quote:
I've got a woman mean as she can be
sometimes I think, she's almost as mean as me
elphenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 12:25 AM   #563 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
[MERIT]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 4,824
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
no it doesn't, as evidenced by the cities that already have passed minimum wage increases

you can't inflate prices because consumers will buy less, you have to cut the profits of shareholders

inversely when you cut taxes very little of that money makes it to workers, most of it is pocketed by shareholders
You're trying to tell me that an increase in operating costs doesn't increase the price of goods produced and services offered? GTFOH.

Last edited by [MERIT]; 11-29-2018 at 12:44 AM.
[MERIT] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 12:26 AM   #564 (permalink)
Girls,Cars,Guitars
 
elphenor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 8,908
Default

that is not what I'm saying

you're falsely assuming the costs are passed 100% to the consumer when in reality the majority of it is absorbed by the shareholders

McD can not pass the costs to the consumers because as you say, they will refuse to pay that much
__________________
Just another marketing ploy
Quote:
I've got a woman mean as she can be
sometimes I think, she's almost as mean as me
elphenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 12:46 AM   #565 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
[MERIT]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 4,824
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
that is not what I'm saying

you're falsely assuming the costs are passed 100% to the consumer when in reality the majority of it is absorbed by the shareholders

McD can not pass the costs to the consumers because as you say, they will refuse to pay that much
That makes more sense
[MERIT] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 06:17 AM   #566 (permalink)
one-balled nipple jockey
 
OccultHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,189
Default

I do not believe that raising minimum wage will raise the price of a hamburger

One reason is evidence: hamburgers cost about the same wherever you go

Another is I donít believe that it will affect supply or demand.

The owner of a restaurant doesnít think oh this hamburger takes $1 to produce so $3 is a reasonable price. The owner sets the price at whatever will make him the most money. If he figures itís $2 itíll cost $2 if he figures itís $50 itíll be $50. It might be two for a dollar if that loss leader will make him money.

But anyway the cost of bumping the minimum wage will be passed on to the owner or the shareholders like elph said. If they could pass it on to you it would already be passed on to you. Itís not like anything is priced in a way that isnít designed to maximize profits.
__________________
2017 & 2018 Member of the Year Back2Back

experimental music on Spotify worth checking out

FREAK FIGHTER JOURNAL (Awarded 2018 Journal of the Year)

free jazz 2018 thread

Drone/Ambient Releases of 2018

OccultHawk Reviews Southern States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhanteimi View Post
There's probably some reasonable middle ground between Leave It to Beaver and being forced to suck your step-father's dick in the basement after your mom goes to work.
OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:30 AM   #567 (permalink)
Fck Ths Thngs
 
DwnWthVwls's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,147
Default

I dont want a president that doesnt even have a job.
__________________
I don't got a god complex, you got a simple god...
DwnWthVwls is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:56 AM   #568 (permalink)
Who wants this dick?
 
Dharma & Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 36,508
Default

I don't think Presidents are allowed to have jobs.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin & Hobbes
To evaluate my character my immediate pleasure is being pitted against my future greed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The Batlord is amazing man. He loves some fine woman and he gets horny easily. What is better than that.
Dharma & Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:49 PM   #569 (permalink)
Fck Ths Thngs
 
DwnWthVwls's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,147
Default

Anteater 2020
__________________
I don't got a god complex, you got a simple god...
DwnWthVwls is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:59 PM   #570 (permalink)
Master Of Muzak
 
Anteater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Somewhere swarthy
Posts: 3,954
Default

__________________
My Top 30 Albums of 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
You can't blame the Jews for everything...just most things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
Trump might be the best thing since free jazz.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.