Music Banter - View Single Post - Brits Vs Yanks
Thread: Brits Vs Yanks
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2006, 11:03 AM   #469 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontRunMeOver
I'd say that the Brits do rave, trance, drum'n'bass, bangra, house, techno, electronic pop, girlband pop etc. better than the Americans do. I'm not even sure that I've HEARD of American bands which play these styles!

Putting Country into the list is pretty ridiculous. There is no reason or use for much country music in Britain, where would you play it? There are no ranches in Britain! No cowboys, no cowgirls and no wide, lonely plains. I could put Northern Soul, Britpop and Pub Rock into a list and say 'the Brits do it better than you'. Its true, we do, but those musical styles are probably as unimportant to Americans as country music is to Brits, so it holds no weight in an argument.

I would agree with rap, hip-hop and funk (probably jazz too) as those are styles which Brits would like to be good at, but mostly aren't. With ska and emo, maybe its more of a publicity or awareness thing, most of the better bands I've heard in these genres have been British.

And heavy metal? Come off it, there are loads of great heavy metals bands in Birmingham alone and, again, most of the best bands I've heard have been British. Metal seems to be more of a tribal thing, so its maybe not surprising that Americans would not be so aware of the British metal and vice versa.

Basically said what I was going to.

I would add that most black people in the UK are decended from Jamaica & the carribean. Most black people I know are much more into things like Reggae , Trip Hop , Garage & Drum & Bass rather than American hip hop/rap.

It`s interesting to note when bands like Public Enemy , De La Soul and Run DMC played their first gigs in the UK the audience was prodomenently white.

As for country , well to me thats just American folk music , Britian has it`s own folk music.I can`t imagine someone from Scunthorpe singing about riding his horse across the open plains & being taken seriously some how.

Ska? are you kidding me , we did that over 20 years ago with bands like The Specials , Madness , The Beat , if anything the U.S. is playing catch up there. Ska here has evolved into trip hop , garage & drum & bass.

As for Emo , well thats just a sub genre of punk , and we know who invented that movement & don`t give me that New York crap either.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote