Music Banter - View Single Post - Brits Vs Yanks
Thread: Brits Vs Yanks
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2006, 05:17 PM   #494 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowe

Ska. The only time the UK had the Americans trumped in Ska was in the Second Wave of Ska, commonly called Two-Tone. We had ska before you did and thats the only reason the UK had something to build off of. Case and point - the Skatalites(this is the first wave existant in our Cajun region). Third Wave ska is completely dominated by our West Coast ska bands and further strengthened by the few greats coming from the East Coast.
Huh? Pretty much all the original Ska bands were from Jamaica , as i`ve explained the UK has a large population of Jamaican immigrants who bought it over & made it popular in the UK along with the Mods who embraced it too. So no , you didn`t have Ska before us at all.

Quote:
Techno (and all of the other electronic sub genres you mentioned. Girlband pop is not a real genre so) Was invented in Detroit, Michigan - and existed about 10 years before the Brits got ahold of it and started using it. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techno
also - since you have trouble finding artists that do these genres...
See:http://www.ishkur.com/music/#
Even if it was invented in Detroit most techno i`m aware of originated in Europe based on what Kraftwerk started.In fact New Order were taking inspiration from Italian house music in 1981/82 which led in turn to Blue Monday being created.But even so it was the Brits who ran with it.Dance music became one of the biggest genres here in the 90s thanks to the likes of The Prodigy , The Chemical Brothers , Fatboy Slim , Orbital , Basement Jaxx , Underworld , The Orb , & Death In Vegas. I can`t think of any American dance acts who came close to even challenging them.

Quote:
Country: Good call. England has no need for this. It is quite obvious that you folks have no idea what country is about anymore since you still use the horses on the open plain kind of thing - which says something about it's popularity over there- so fair enough.
We were joking , the fact is like I said it`s American folk music , ours is different.There`s no need for us to do country music.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote