Music Banter - View Single Post - Brits Vs Yanks
Thread: Brits Vs Yanks
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2006, 05:42 PM   #496 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowe
Check that band I pointed out.. the Skatalites. Jamaican immigrants in America - ska - before any of the british ska. Look it up... I'll use wiki again... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ska
have a sit down and give it a twice over.
I`d rather go by their official biograpy.....

The Skatalites Biographical Information
In Jamaica in the mid-50's, a fledgling recording industry saw the birth of what became known as Ska. Created by fusing Boogie-Woogie Blues, R+B, Jazz, Mento, Calypso and African rythyms, Ska became the first truly Jamaican music and by the 60's all the vocalist were swarming to the studios to record their songs to this infectious new beat. Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, Toots and the Maytals, Jimmy Cliff, Alton Ellis, Ken Boothe are just a few of the names who came to record this new music, which coincided with the whole island's excitement about Jamaica's independence in 1962. The core musicians playing on most of these sessions saw the opportunity to play this music live to the public.Tommy McCook, Rolando Alphonso, Johnny Moore, Lester Sterling, Don Drummond, Lloyd Knibb, Lloyd Brevett, Jerry Haynes, and Jackie Mittoo began working together in 1963 and formed The Ska-talites in May 1964.

Spring 1964
The Skatalites record their first LP at Studio One in Kingston, Ska Authentic, and tour the island as the creators of Ska. Their recordings for various producers rule the airwaves, stations JBC and RJR, that is. Foremost among their producers were; Clement 'Sir Coxsone' Dodd, Arthur 'Duke' Reid, Cecil 'Prince Buster' Campbell, Vincent 'King' Edwards, Justin 'Phillip' Yap, Leslie Kong, Lindon Pottinger,Sonya Pottinger and Vincent 'Randy' Chin. The Skatalites led sessions with all the top artists and helped to break young talents such as Delroy Wilson, Desmond Dekker, The Wailers, Lee Perry, etc.

Fall 1964
Don Drummond's composition, "Man In The Street", enters the Top 10 in the UK. Trombonist Drummond is not only the Skatalites busiest composer, but the most prolific in all of Ska, with at least 200 tunes to his name by 1965.

Sorry , don`t see the U.S. mentioned there anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowe
Thats all fine and dandy - but you change the focus of the argument to better fit your point. In order to combat doing the same thing - I gave you 2 links to go check out and read over. They are non - biased links and they provide much more insight than your popular dance bands. You also said "biggest genres here" - great, on your island it was big. A big genre in Texas would be - technically - a bigger genre than a genre in your whole country, if we are talking numbers. Because they are "big" in your mother country doesn't make it better.
I`m not changing my focus at all , I said from the start things start off in the US & the UK works off that and moves forward with them, i`d say that the UK dance scene is a perfect example of that.And I think you`ll find a good handful of those bands mentioned had a lot of success outside the UK too.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote