Music Banter - View Single Post - Brits Vs Yanks
Thread: Brits Vs Yanks
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2006, 06:23 PM   #499 (permalink)
Crowe
Music Addict

I didn't type very clearly - so I see where the misinterpretation was made... I didn't say - or mean to say - that the Skatalites were from America or American - I was merely pointing out their Jamaican years, and then went on to connect them with our Jamaican immigrants in the cajun country. So, go back to that link and read again where ska started.

Quote:
A genre of music stylized by the influences of American jazz and swing, born out of Jamaica. It underwent three waves, Trad(itional), Two-Tone, and 3rd wave. The guitar is always played on the off beats, or "upstrokes." The bass line is almost always a walking bass line unless the band is more punk influenced (however, ska is what helped bring about punk), and there is a horn line, usually with some swinging stuff. Ska gave birth to many different types of music, such as rocksteady, reggae, punk, rap and hip-hop (it's true).
Our New Orleans Jamaicans had a ska scene in New Orleans and lower Mississippi in the 1950s.

You will also find that ska was started in Jamaica through the American influence.

Quote:
I'm aware of was...
The credibility of your argument stops here... that's why I gave you those links to check out like I did, so we could both be with a same amount of information. Those links give a comprehensive and thorough guide to Electronic music.

Quote:
UK Dance scene
Yes. The UK Dance scene. It is the UK Dance scene.

If we break into a dance discussion, I'm afraid hell would break loose - dance is so much a wordly thing with influences coming from everywhere you can think of.

BOO BOO-
So I don't know if you went to those links or not - it explains where I'm coming from - here we go...

Sonic Youth - influenced the indie-emo scene, notice I put indie-emo in my "Emo" statement.

Perhaps they were influenced by those UK bands, but that doesn't mean that they were entirely influenced by them... so that point is kind of moot, don't you think? Plus influence isn't analagous with "Greatness" - yet we continue to look at them like they are the same, myself included.

Shouldnt Jamaica be accredited with this?
Yes. But this is UK v US thread. So we talk about who does it better.

Techno- The links I gave you include the German influences.

Country has been dealt with.

Generally. I think a thread like this is absurd, but I always get sucked into them. I think versus threads lead away from general discussion and sets the stage for prideful competition. It also leads to sacrificing some beliefs in order to make a point. It's somewhat nauseating. I think my first post here (which I was in agreeance with someone else who made the same point) still stands. We both do different things well - and I don't think music should be a competitive thing... it should just be here to be enjoyed. I love British music. I love American music. Why should I be compelled to turn them against each other?