Music Banter - View Single Post - Brits Vs Yanks
Thread: Brits Vs Yanks
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2006, 07:16 PM   #502 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowe
You have to remember the continental size of the US. Our Louisiana/Southern Mississippi is almost as big as your country. New Orleans is the biggest city in Louisiana. It is not the same as when Britain gets a new style of music - and the US does. We are a humongous country. And I said that the US (New Orleans being a part of the US, and I also pointed out specifically "our cajun country") had Ska first. We are closer to Jamaica, it's no wonder that we would get the immediate immigrants and subsequently the music scene.
But if Ska did have any sort of impact in the U.S. there would be American ska bands in the late 60s & 70s , now i`m no expert on the genre but I can`t think of a single one.Those Jamaican immigrants in in New Orleans may have started there , but the fact remains they were born in Jamaica & returned there to record & play. And like I said , found success in the UK and spawned the genre there.

It`s pointless to bring up population all the time , Just because the U.S. is bigger. Do you know what the total number of album sales in the UK was last year?
It was 237 million

Total album sales in the U.S. last year - 666 million

Even despite the huge population difference the uk sells more than a third of the total number of album sales of the U.S. So in my book that means an artist only has to sell 3 albums in the U.S. for every one he sells in the U.K. to be a success over there.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote