Music Banter - View Single Post - Brits Vs Yanks
Thread: Brits Vs Yanks
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2006, 12:19 AM   #506 (permalink)
Crowe
Music Addict

Quote:
It's also not fair to give the U.S. any credit (mention) for ska/reggae. It might have had a bigger market here before Britain, but c'mon. Let's not forget the REAL roots.
Ska Officianados (authors, musical historians) have accredited Ska's birth as the Jamaican interpretation of American Jazz and Big Band music and Ska was born as a response to the American influences, so you're argument is with them. I haven't said anything about Reggae being started in the US.

Quote:
And Sonic Youth and The Pixies aren't indie emo, I'm not sure what you were trying to say there.
Sometimes I'm not very articulate. The Pixies were alternative. Sonic Youth was also alternative at the timie, but Daydream Nation - their best album - was generally accepted as an indie hit - and one of the best album's of the decade. Both of these bands had huge influences on the groups of today, and this is the stuff that influenced the playing styles of many emo groups and indie groups that we know. Because they grew up listening to it.

Alternative didn't mean the same back then as it does now. It was merely a term used to describe music that wasn't mainstream. Indie, before the populace bastardized it, and turned it into a genre... meant the same thing - but it took the place of alt because alt had turned into a genre.