Music Banter - View Single Post - Brits Vs Yanks
Thread: Brits Vs Yanks
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2006, 10:18 AM   #512 (permalink)
cardboard adolescent
;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
Post punk?....I wouldnt consider Sonic Youth post punk unless every other alternative rock band at the time is post punk, and that would make U2 post punk as well.

Suicide were more along the lines of New Wave, but either way they were around since the late 70s when punk was still a new thing...And i thought they were british, guess i was wrong.

I would consider The Cramps to be punk, just punk, plain and simple.

And i f*cking hate Devo, but whatever floats your boat man.
Sonic Youth's first three albums went from No Wave post-punk to an almost goth post-punk on Evol.

Both post-punk and new wave were phenomena that didn't occur until after punk, but bands like Television and Suicide weren't punk but laid the blueprints for both post-punk and new wave, so I don't really know how you would classify them. But Suicide, in my opinion, was much too abrasive and "punkish" for new wave.

I think The Cramps definetely pushed the borders of "punk," but I don't really feel like arguing over genres there.

As for Devo, their first album was good.

I don't really see the comparison between Sonic Youth and U2 on any level, but in any case, Pere Ubu is one of my top 5 favorite bands ever so that gives US post-punk a lot of credit in my opinion.
cardboard adolescent is offline   Reply With Quote