Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2019, 06:34 PM   #16809 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

^ I'm with Fluff and OH here - that the morality is pretty clear-cut; torturing teenagers for cosmetic reasons should be discouraged regardless of race or arguments about culture and tradition. Other practices to be condemned have included:-

China - "binding" girls feet. ("Binding" being a euphemism for repeatedly breaking the bones of the feet until they no longer grow straight.)
Europe - back in the 1700s corsets were applied so tight that not only were breathing and organs restricted, broken ribs and miscarriages were possible consequences too.
Africa - Female Genital Mutilation (= byebye sexual pleasure and hallo lifetime of medical probs)

None of these are good in my book - and it's not a coincidence that they were all perpetrated on women. A consistent element in fashion has always been the desire to make women less physically able than men. Even today, tight skirts and high heels may look alluring, but they also stop the girls from running away too far or too fast. Hot!