Music Banter - View Single Post - What Are You Watching Right Now?
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2019, 08:37 PM   #870 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsock View Post
I still don't see that as justification for classifying the fraction of a fraction of the US that actual neo-Nazis represent as a national threat.

I think laughing at them like the fringe psychos at they are is just fine.

Nah it's just the constant hoisting of Charlottesville as the sole signifyer that white supremacy is supposedly "alive and well" in America got tiring real quick.

There's probably only about 10k legitimate white supremacists/Nazis in the US. I think the current generation over-inflates this because we seek a cause to fight for like those did 50 years ago. We're just blindly scaring ourselves for not that much reason, speaking generally.
The problem isn't that America is gonna elect Hitler 2.0 in 2020 and the 13th Amendment is going to be repealed, the problem is that the culturally conservative backlash that's been building for decades and which was given new life after the recession and Obama is being influenced by that small group of people like Richard Spencer and Steve Bannon. They disseminate watered down neo-Nazi garbage to both conservatives looking for something to shout at liberals and moderate liberals who are at least sympathetic to those ideas when put in an innocuous enough way. And then politicians like Trump pick up on this and realize they can pull a movement behind them if spout these ideas on national television so that now we have veiled hatred setting the tone for political discourse.

And who the **** knows where that leads?
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote