Music Banter - View Single Post - Political Discussions for "Adults"
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2019, 02:36 AM   #1160 (permalink)
DMBFFF
I like the green.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre View Post
It's not about taking black culture, it's about taking ownership away from an industry.
How does one own an industry than by owning means of production and sales? How does one take such ownership but by buying, or in the case of taking the market from competitors, by out-competing?

There was once a time when most blues was played by blacks. Then whites got involved and blacks dropped out. Such is the takeover, I suppose.

Quote:
The lack of black owned businesses creates a lack of opportunity.
Save the opportunity to start a business, such as Motown.

Quote:
Being a rapper isn't the only job in the hip hop business. So the industry does create a lot of jobs for black people as well as give more wealth and opportunity to be passed down so black people have more chances to be doctors. Becoming a doctor doesn't create jobs, doesn't create a business to pass down, it only generates wealth.
A person gets sick. He/she can't work. A doctor treats him/her. He/she can now work. Doctors buy goods, houses, etc. They fund the education of their children. Their taxes and/or tuition pay for schools. Ditto the black lawyer, the black dentist, the black carpenter, the black electrician, the black mechanic, the black pilot, and the black trucker.

Quote:
Which, I'm sure there are more rappers that spread their wealth around their community than there are doctors.
Depends what you mean by rapper. If you mean somebody who can make money off of it, the number of black doctors might be a multiple of professional rappers—black and white. If only 0.2% of American blacks were doctors, that'd be over 60 000 doctors.

Quote:
Most people in these areas can't even afford to become doctors in the first place.
In a way, most can't afford to be rappers insofar that they need money to survive.

Quote:
The more black owned businesses there are the more it gets cycled through black communities and the more black people will prosper.
Sounds like protectionism to me.

While Donald Trump has little faith in the free market, I have some. If 100 Americans work for an American or Japanese or German car company, it doesn't matter as long as they get their pay. If 100 blacks buy cheaper goods from non-blacks, they have more money leftover to invest or save.

Quote:
Take any horrorcore label and they are white owned businesses with predominately white artists and workers. They typically don't go out of their way to put money back into black communities. The question is if that is taking prosperity or ownership from black people or if horrorcore is so far removed from hip hop culture that it has no impact on the hip hop industry.
If it's the latter, then the conversation is moot: one might as well ask if the klezmer music industry robs blacks. (it doesn't) If they compete with black producers, it is to the benefit to black consumers. It is better for a black person to have, say, a choice of Little Richard's Tutti Fruitti or Elvis's, than just the former—however little more in merit the latter is.

They sell to lots of whites and I don't think they play horrorcore or hip hop for that matter:

(One day I'm going to listen to ICP.)

Btw, what is this "Post Malone?"
DMBFFF is offline   Reply With Quote