Music Banter - View Single Post - Worst band on earth?
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2006, 01:11 AM   #493 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don
I'm not saying you said it, I was just making a statement, but it does seem like you enjoy the importance of a band more than the actual music.
I guess thats why i like Incubus more than The Rolling Stones.

Quote:
And if I ever said "My favorite bands are better than all these bands," I was clearly joking, but you seem to say it quite frequently and with things like "Oh, but they [your opinions] are [better]" I'm quite certain you would do anything to try and convince me that your ****ty prog bands like Yes are "better" than DT, because it's obviously what you've been trying to do for the passed 2 pages.
I shouldnt even have to explain, Yes have the ability to write actual songs, DT dosent.

Quote:
For the last time, I don't give a **** about how influential Yes are and how important they have been to prog, it's sorta like saying "Chuck Berry is the best artist ever because without him there would be no rock at all."
Im talking about greatness, not about whos the best.

Im simply saying Yes mean more to the music community, and their musicians are more well respected in their field, DT are widely looked upon as a lame ass gimmick by most people, and in my opinion thats because they are a lame ass gimmick.

Quote:
Never said they didn't, but along for the ride? That's rich. Let me write a list:

Shadow Gallery
Victor
Arena
Tad Morose
Magellan
Randy Jackson
Enchant
The Lonely Bears
Explorers Club
Dali's Dilemma
Heads or Tales
Ice Age
Royal Hunt
Zero Hour
Gordian Knot
Magnitude 9
Planet X
Cuarto Obscuro
Wow 18 bands that no one gives a sh*t about, not even in the prog community, congratulations.

Quote:
Who are they you ask? Some of the bands that have been influenced by DT, so please don't write silly jokes. And aside from the obvious followers they have, DT is what made prog-metal popular in the late 90's-now, after FW and Queensrÿche.
Without prog there would be no prog metal.

Quote:
Wow, that's a lot of artists! lol
Quantity isnt as important in this case as what artists they influenced, though Yes do have the edge in quantity, all the bands i mentioned own your 18 bands in both musical importance AND musical quality...And i can still name over a dozen more bands Yes have influenced.

Focus
Happy The Man
Cairo
Starcastle
Badger
Kansas
Marillion
Fates Warning
Spocks Beard
Flower Kings
Premiata Forneria Marconi
Niacin
Explowers Club
Magna Carta

Also bands like Blind Melon, Bon Jovi and even Tenacious D have called Yes influences, proving that Yes's influence is not limited to just prog.

But like any influencial band, Yes have also influenced their share of crappy bands... Like Dream Theater for example.

Quote:
I've never seen Rudess hit a note and looked like he didn't care at the same time. Same with Petrucci.
Are you kidding?...Petrucci makes less facial expressions than a statue.

Quote:
We just have difference definitions of wank. To you, it's probably about playing really fast and maybe playing ascending scales.
Nah, its overstuffing your intsturment with fancy smancy technique with no regard at all to how good it actualy sounds, and often times it sounds like a dentist drill, especialy in Petrucci's case.

Quote:
But for me it's playing exactly like Wakeman in "Catherine Parr" to name one example.
Listen to his great moog work on The Remembering, Heart Of The Sunrise and Siberian Khatru, wanking he is not...He creates a ethereal soundscape, which was one of the defining elements that made Yes a great band.

Quote:
Wtf? I'm saying MP contributes more to the music. Meaning that he writes the lyrics and contributes to the song-writing.
And Bruford dosent?...And what does songwriting and lyrics have to do with being a good drummer?....Bruford is the guy that EVERY prog band wishe's could drum for them.

Quote:
But once again you've misinterpreted 'experience' and 'importance' with the actual music and being able to play.
Bill Bruford has played with hundreds of talented musicians, and hes easly the most influencial drummer in progressive rock...Hes also a more skilled drummer than Portnoy, ask any professional drummer.

Quote:
How hilarious. I thought I already explained that it was my brothers post, Don is part of our last name.
I dont buy it.

Just like i dont believe that you get paid to review albums.

Quote:
Never said he can't keep up with Howe, but it seems like he chooses not to for the majority of any track.
Rubbish...Howe and Squire are always pushing each other to their limit...And they can do it without getting sloppy or losing focus...They are one of the best guitar/bass teams around.

Quote:
How bout you read the bass tab for "The Dance of Eternity." Reading Squires tabs would be like a great bed time story.
Ok punk, i'd like to hear you play YIND note for note, link me baby.

Quote:
Only 20? Umm how bout, every single DT piece lol

Quote:
Again, I wasn't saying you said that, just making an analogy. If you say that "Prog isnt really a vocal oriented genre anyway" then why do you keep complaining about LaBrie? Oh that's right, you think DT aren't prog lolol.
No they're prog alright, just not good prog, certainly not progressive in my eyes, i did mention them in my prog ed thread, since they are highly regarded as prog even in the prog community, it would be biased of me not to include them.

But i think a lot of people arent really getting the point of progressive rock...You certainly arent...You're critisizing prog for being inaccessible, because prog is not the sugarcoated crap people are used to hearing on the radio thats obviously a bad thing...Just because a band isnt accessible it dosent mean they are not good, it takes some time to get into, i didnt fall in love with Yes the first time i heard them, it took a while for their music to soak in, i have never been able to get into Dream Theater, and dammit i have tried, theres just nothing special about them, and being a DT fan you're not even one to talk about bands that are inaccessible, Yes may be a very inaccessible band most of the time, but they could still make a good pop song when they wanted to, they proved it with I've Seen All Good People...DT have never composed a melody that i didnt forget in like 10 minutes.

Quote:
If you picked anyone in the world who knew what prog-metal was and asked them to name a prog-metal band, DT would be their first choice. So are you saying that like everyone in the music world is wrong except for you? lolol
Almost everyone in the music world would agree with me that Yes kicks Dream Theaters booty.

Quote:
And "And you and I" literally sends me to sleep, and that's not a joke. I was listening to CTTE on the train one day and I'm pretty sure I feel asleep at around the time that track was on. So for you, putting your heart into it is basically singing like boring pieces of crap with a 12 year old's voice?
12 year olds sound better than constipated robots.

And Yes make some very creative vocal harmonies...If DT tried to compose good harmonies, then maybe they would sound half decent at least.

Quote:
What I'm saying is that DT have taken the boring bass lines and whatever from Yes and co. and elevated them to the next level.
There is NOTHING boring about Squire's basslines...He has influenced a handful of bass players, including Billy Sheenan, Les Claypool, Flea, Steve Harris, Geddy Lee...All of whom are much more exiting than boring ol Myung.

....With that ridiculous statement, i seriously doubt you have really heard that much Yes at all.

Quote:
And one thing? Okay, each track off the album "Octavarium" is in a different key, transposed by one each time. I don't recally any other artist ever doing that.
Im pretty sure King Crimson have done it.

And you say it like odd time signatures is something new to progressive rock, give me a break.

Quote:
Dumbing it down? They've made it 10^100 times more interesting than Yes could ever dream of doing. If you put on a random Yes album the response you might get from listening to it is "this is cool, it's like rock but taken to the next level, but it's like 40 years old,
Oh yeah thats right, all old music sucks, excellent point.

Quote:
but whatever, it's classic." And contrasted with listened to a DT album: "They've taken old-school prog to the next level, man this is so f-ing powerful and intense."
Listen to Red from King Crimson, thats some real intensity for you.

And how about Relayer, are you really going to me that Yes werent making some intense music on that album?...Its one of the boldest and most outrageous prog albums ever made...Gates Of Delirium is pure mayhem, i havent heard anything from DT that sounded so spontanious but still exciting.

Quote:
So, what's more interesting?
The one that was doing something original.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.