Music Banter - View Single Post - Referencing in music
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2019, 07:13 AM   #19 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggywas View Post
Bob Dylan's 115th dream is a nothing-but-references(including moby dick references) surrealistic, political, great song!

here are the 1. lyrics 2.track on spotify

EDiT: i havent seen all this racket above my post until after i posted. i hope i m not interrupting or anything :P
^ Good call, ziggywas. That's a Dylan track that doesn't often get mentioned, but I've always liked it as one of his more light-hearted fantasies.

Referencing in music is big and sprawling topic and Maria has done well to bring it up. Perhaps you should've narrowed the focus a bit in your OP though, Maria as the subject could've been spread out over different threads, according to different types of references.

One thread we already have, for instance, is for songs that talk about music:- https://www.musicbanter.com/general-...sic-music.html
__________________________________________________ __________

Some songs slip in a reference or two along the way, and expect the listener to pick them up, rather like Bob Dylan's 115th Dream. Others are more explicit, and straight-out name check various people, for example:-
Macklemore: Growing Up
Bowie: Andy Warhol and Song For Bob Dylan
Eric Burdon: Monterey
And a personal favourite, Rave On John Donne:-

^ Who but Van Morrison can convincingly deliver the line, "Rave on through the industrial revolution"? Gotta love his passionate clarion call for a poet he admires so much.