Music Banter - View Single Post - Brexit? Yay or Nay.
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2019, 01:50 PM   #788 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

It looks like Britain is bumbling its way into disaster, and is in danger of having reached the point of no-return already.
Two quotes from an article I just read indicate how serious the problem has become:-
Quote:
Legally the UK is still due to leave the EU on 29 March.
Quote:
UK Cancellor Mr Hammond told Andrew Marr that it was now "physically impossible" for the UK to leave on 29 March.
Because there's no agreed Brexit deal at this eleventh hour, Britain has to go cap in hand to an EU summit and ask for an extension of the Brexit deadline.

Even if May's deal is accepted by the UK Parliament this week, we still have to ask for an extension, and we will only be granted one if all 27 EU countries agree. Somewhat ironically, the our post-referendum bickering has put the fate of Britain squarely into the hands of the EU, and it'll take the vote of just one of those countries to send us into the No Deal crash-out which has always been labelled "the worst-case scenario".

And, but for the mercy of the EU, that's where we are now heading. For a historical perspective on the mercy of the EU, I can remember the time that Britain was applying to join what was then the Common Market: we were repeatedly blackballed by France, and when, after years, France relented and allowed us in, we treated it as a triumphant achievement for modern Britain. Today, if one country takes an "F you, Britain" stance, we´re going to be in huge economic trouble I fear

Have I missed any significant detail from this timetable of disaster? I'll be happy to be proved wrong.