Music Banter - View Single Post - Science!
Thread: Science!
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2019, 12:44 PM   #448 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharma & Greg View Post
Saying that you can't know that free will exists is pointless. On a purely logical level of course you can't know anymore than you can know that god exists or that we're not living in the Matrix. You can hold an agnostic view in an academic sense but you're still going to believe one or the other because that's simply how minds work. You can't hold a purely agnostic view. Either you believe in free will or you don't.
The majority of the arguments for the existence of god can easily be countered in a falsifiable manner. I don't see any of that scientific rigor behind your position.

I also don't agree with the assertion that free will can only exist if it's absolute. I also vehemently disagree with the assertion that free will can only exist if decision-making is entirely random because that would be a form of determinism in itself. I've explained this to you several times, so if you don't get it you're clearly just not there yet.

Quote:
Saying that you can't know that free will exists or doesn't exist is like prefacing your opinion that X musical artist with "In my opinion". It doesn't add anything to the discussion. It just wastes time. You can believe that musical taste is subjective but you're still going to believe that an artist is either good or bad.
The fact that you have to rely so heavily on false analogies, false equivalencies, strawmanning, and goalpost moving to support your position should tell you that your position isn't as concrete as you're presenting it to be.

Last edited by Frownland; 04-12-2019 at 12:46 PM. Reason: \
Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote