Music Banter - View Single Post - Dharma & Greg Forces Elph to Review Punk Albums Without Asking Him
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2019, 06:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
Give me Convenience is lacking "Kill the Poor" so it's really hard to call it definitive
Absolutely agreed. But it also has "I Fought the Law" so boom to the dick. One other thing I like about Give Me Convenience is that it's a comp without flow which reminds the listener that albums at the time were a two-decade-old arbitrary concept based around how much you could fit on a piece of wax rather than being an objectively valid artistic concept. If a band can put out one single song that resonates throughout history like The Kingsmen with "Louie Louie" then you are still a great band if you don't add the arbitrary necessity of making entire 30-40 minute collections of songs to being a great band, and punk most of all genres should ignore the need for full "albums" when they can just put out great music to be great. Give Me Convenience is just some great songs with some other great stuff thrown in which doesn't make it feel like a statement that makes every song feel the need to work with every other song in a way that is unnecessary to appreciate each song.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote