Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2019, 05:38 PM   #18525 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
I'll have to think about that.
It's something I try to ask myself to avoid becoming too dogmatic about any one stance.

Quote:
^ Isn't there something about "equality under the law" in the constitution? And if a law says for instance, "Stop a guy who's driving too fast" that would be the official training. If a policeman gets the message, "Stop a guy who's driving too fast, especially if he's black" I wouldn't call that training myself, I'd put that down to a culture of racism at a local level.
Yes, that's covered under the 14th amendment. That said, most of the inequal laws are not explicitly unequally applied but are designed to have unequal outcomes. See: the drug war, softness towards Hell's Angels while being hard on Crips, border control, the list goes on. As far as training goes, the ways in which police are trained to identify criminal behaviour aligns with hierarchical norms that result in the targeting of minority communities.

Also, one thing that aligns a little more closely with the localized element that you mentioned is that we train our policemen to shoot to kill when they fear for their safety instead of deescalating the situation, and the application of that often aligns with aforementioned hierarchical norms. Then there's the undeniable disparity in accountability for police brutality based on who the victim is.

It's not as blatantly racist as the 3/5ths rule, but the inequality is certainly there. The subtlety is what's kept it in place for so long tbf. If you aren't super familiar with American police then it can seem silly but these mfs are sneaky.

Wait, don't you live in Mexico? How do you feel about the police there if you don't mind me asking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaa View Post
Can't a girl hate cops in peace
Please do.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote