Music Banter - View Single Post - The Spam Thread: Channel Your Need to Spam Here Only
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2019, 03:21 PM   #23479 (permalink)
Lucem Ferre
Cuter Than Post Malone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
I don't think you are taking into account how evolution actually works. How would that work, genetically?

We evolved in the tribal context based on kin selection and reciprocity because
1) kin selection - your close relatives share your genes
2) the people in close proximity to you make for useful and reliable trading partners.

The selective pressures that selected for these traits made basic assumptions that are no longer true, but were true for the vast majority of human history

E.g. that your brother is always going to be genetically related to you. You can have an adopted brother and feel the same way about them. That's not cause you're more evolved. It's cause the forces that drove your evolution simply assumed brothers were related and, in the vast majority of cases, they were.
When I say evolved I don't mean in a genetic sense, I mean how our understanding of morality has developed. I don't think morality is genetic, I think it's a product of varying things that are genetic that I can't pin point because I'm not a neurologist. I think time has given us the ability to analyze ourselves and gain a better understanding of morality just like it has in many different things.
Lucem, you're right, it's silly to talk about what I would or wouldn't do IRL. Glad you brought it up. Maybe you should write an instrumental about it. I recommend a piano paired with a clarinet. With ambient sounds of you hanging from your shower curtain you ****ing failure.

Art Is Dead. Buy My ****.
Lucem Ferre is offline   Reply With Quote