Music Banter - View Single Post - Hong Kong and China
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2019, 05:41 PM   #104 (permalink)
Lucem Ferre
Cuter Than Post Malone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
That's very questionable. Most people aren't offered any sort of reward for their IQ results, yet they largely correlate with something like good grades or high SAT scores, where the reward incentive is obvious. So if it were simply a matter of incentive then everyone would essentially have equal incentive to do well on the SATs. But that's not what happens.

There funny part is most people agree that a sub 80 IQ means almost certainly stunted Intelligence and that 140+ means almost certainly gifted. It's the range in between, where most of us fall, that we cast doubt upon. Maybe as a defense mechanism.

My thing is... If your IQ is 100 and they offer you 1000 bucks to get a 140, it ain't gonna happen.
Because, as I said, the people more likely to want to get good grades or score higher on SATs are more likely to want to score high on an IQ test. The reward for good grades and scoring high on an SATs is not obvious. It's not immediate it's a long term investment in the hopes of getting a career you want. Some people's incentive to score well on SATs is the satisfaction they get from doing well while others don't really care about that.

I don't think IQ means nothing, I think it isn't nearly as important as people make it out to be.

So you're jumping to the conclusion that somebody couldn't get a 140 if offered $1,000 (not saying they could) but you don't have any valid reason to believe it. That study showed that the higher the reward correlated with better results. Who knows?
Lucem, you're right, it's silly to talk about what I would or wouldn't do IRL. Glad you brought it up. Maybe you should write an instrumental about it. I recommend a piano paired with a clarinet. With ambient sounds of you hanging from your shower curtain you ****ing failure.

Art Is Dead. Buy My ****.
Lucem Ferre is offline   Reply With Quote