Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2019, 10:28 AM   #101 (permalink)
jwb
I have an Army of Jews
 
jwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 3,903
Default

I think it means something on average. I'm guessing most physicists etc have higher than average IQ.

IIRC there's also a general correlation between higher IQ and success in terms of school/career.

I've never taken a professional IQ test, as I'm pretty sure you have to pay for that. But I've taken online ones. Based on those questions, I believe it's something that you can improve on if you do a lot of math, logic puzzles, programming etc. I don't understand the idea that IQ is static if it's based on these logic puzzle type questions.

Last edited by jwb; 08-22-2019 at 11:00 AM.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:09 PM   #102 (permalink)
Cuter Than Post Malone.
 
Lucem Ferre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
I think it means something on average. I'm guessing most physicists etc have higher than average IQ.

IIRC there's also a general correlation between higher IQ and success in terms of school/career.

I've never taken a professional IQ test, as I'm pretty sure you have to pay for that. But I've taken online ones. Based on those questions, I believe it's something that you can improve on if you do a lot of math, logic puzzles, programming etc. I don't understand the idea that IQ is static if it's based on these logic puzzle type questions.
Because the people motivated to want to do well in life are more motivated to do well on an IQ test. Most likely as a badge of honor. They found that you can literally manipulate how well somebody tests by offering something that motivates them to try harder like money.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2011...really-measure
__________________
Quote:
Lucem, you're right, it's silly to talk about what I would or wouldn't do IRL. Glad you brought it up. Maybe you should write an instrumental about it. I recommend a piano paired with a clarinet. With ambient sounds of you hanging from your shower curtain you ****ing failure.

Art Is Dead. Buy My ****.
Lucem Ferre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:19 PM   #103 (permalink)
jwb
I have an Army of Jews
 
jwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 3,903
Default

That's very questionable. Most people aren't offered any sort of reward for their IQ results, yet they largely correlate with something like good grades or high SAT scores, where the reward incentive is obvious. So if it were simply a matter of incentive then everyone would essentially have equal incentive to do well on the SATs. But that's not what happens.

There funny part is most people agree that a sub 80 IQ means almost certainly stunted Intelligence and that 140+ means almost certainly gifted. It's the range in between, where most of us fall, that we cast doubt upon. Maybe as a defense mechanism.

My thing is... If your IQ is 100 and they offer you 1000 bucks to get a 140, it ain't gonna happen.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:41 PM   #104 (permalink)
Cuter Than Post Malone.
 
Lucem Ferre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
That's very questionable. Most people aren't offered any sort of reward for their IQ results, yet they largely correlate with something like good grades or high SAT scores, where the reward incentive is obvious. So if it were simply a matter of incentive then everyone would essentially have equal incentive to do well on the SATs. But that's not what happens.

There funny part is most people agree that a sub 80 IQ means almost certainly stunted Intelligence and that 140+ means almost certainly gifted. It's the range in between, where most of us fall, that we cast doubt upon. Maybe as a defense mechanism.

My thing is... If your IQ is 100 and they offer you 1000 bucks to get a 140, it ain't gonna happen.
Because, as I said, the people more likely to want to get good grades or score higher on SATs are more likely to want to score high on an IQ test. The reward for good grades and scoring high on an SATs is not obvious. It's not immediate it's a long term investment in the hopes of getting a career you want. Some people's incentive to score well on SATs is the satisfaction they get from doing well while others don't really care about that.

I don't think IQ means nothing, I think it isn't nearly as important as people make it out to be.

So you're jumping to the conclusion that somebody couldn't get a 140 if offered $1,000 (not saying they could) but you don't have any valid reason to believe it. That study showed that the higher the reward correlated with better results. Who knows?
__________________
Quote:
Lucem, you're right, it's silly to talk about what I would or wouldn't do IRL. Glad you brought it up. Maybe you should write an instrumental about it. I recommend a piano paired with a clarinet. With ambient sounds of you hanging from your shower curtain you ****ing failure.

Art Is Dead. Buy My ****.
Lucem Ferre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:51 PM   #105 (permalink)
jwb
I have an Army of Jews
 
jwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 3,903
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre View Post
Because, as I said, the people more likely to want to get good grades or score higher on SATs are more likely to want to score high on an IQ test. The reward for good grades and scoring high on an SATs is not obvious. It's not immediate it's a long term investment in the hopes of getting a career you want. Some people's incentive to score well on SATs is the satisfaction they get from doing well while others don't really care about that.

I don't think IQ means nothing, I think it isn't nearly as important as people make it out to be.

So you're jumping to the conclusion that somebody couldn't get a 140 if offered $1,000 (not saying they could) but you don't have any valid reason to believe it. That study showed that the higher the reward correlated with better results. Who knows?
they didn't come anywhere near that sort of result in their study.

Also, you are sorta missing my point. The people who are getting good SAT scores etc are the same people getting high IQ scores, for the most part.

So who's to say that if you give them an added financial advantage, their scores won't rise as well?

IQ is by definition measured against other people taking the same test. So if you can raise everyone's IQ via incentive that would reset the scores (because the average score is by definition 100) and we would be back to square 1. See: the Flynn effect.

I do think effort does play a role, not only in IQ scores but in general Intelligence. But it's not an easy relationship to untangle.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:53 PM   #106 (permalink)
Ⱨł₲ⱧɆⱤ Vł฿Ɽ₳₮łØ₦₴
 
Mindfulness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,752
Default


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwSGB7ii2dk
Quote:
VOA News
Published on Aug 22, 2019

Demonstrations continue in Hong Kong as activists employ a wide range of strategies to spread their pro-democracy message. Mike O’Sullivan reports from the semi-autonomous Chinese territory.
Mindfulness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:55 PM   #107 (permalink)
jwb
I have an Army of Jews
 
jwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 3,903
Default

^off topic
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:56 PM   #108 (permalink)
Ⱨł₲ⱧɆⱤ Vł฿Ɽ₳₮łØ₦₴
 
Mindfulness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,752
Default

lol^
Mindfulness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:01 PM   #109 (permalink)
Cuter Than Post Malone.
 
Lucem Ferre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
they didn't come anywhere near that sort of result in their study.

Also, you are sorta missing my point. The people who are getting good SAT scores etc are the same people getting high IQ scores, for the most part.

So who's to say that if you give them an added financial advantage, their scores won't rise as well?

IQ is by definition measured against other people taking the same test. So if you can raise everyone's IQ via incentive that would reset the scores (because the average score is by definition 100) and we would be back to square 1. See: the Flynn effect.

I do think effort does play a role, not only in IQ scores but in general Intelligence. But it's not an easy relationship to untangle.
No, you're not getting my point. The people who WANT to get higher IQ scores are more likely to WANT to get good grades and score well on the SATs. You get what I'm saying? Is it that they are smarter or more motivated?
__________________
Quote:
Lucem, you're right, it's silly to talk about what I would or wouldn't do IRL. Glad you brought it up. Maybe you should write an instrumental about it. I recommend a piano paired with a clarinet. With ambient sounds of you hanging from your shower curtain you ****ing failure.

Art Is Dead. Buy My ****.
Lucem Ferre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:07 PM   #110 (permalink)
jwb
I have an Army of Jews
 
jwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 3,903
Default

That's an assumption. There are obvious incentives for high SAT scores, for example. If you take the SAts and don't care how well you score, you're pretty much a subpar intelligence mouth breather that deserves to work at Taco Bell. Otherwise why are you taking the test? The entire point is to get a high score.

So what makes you so sure that high IQ individuals can't be incentivized but the mouth breathers can? Your article doesn't establish that at all.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2021 Advameg, Inc.