Music Banter - View Single Post - Hong Kong and China
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2019, 05:51 PM   #105 (permalink)
jwb
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre View Post
Because, as I said, the people more likely to want to get good grades or score higher on SATs are more likely to want to score high on an IQ test. The reward for good grades and scoring high on an SATs is not obvious. It's not immediate it's a long term investment in the hopes of getting a career you want. Some people's incentive to score well on SATs is the satisfaction they get from doing well while others don't really care about that.

I don't think IQ means nothing, I think it isn't nearly as important as people make it out to be.

So you're jumping to the conclusion that somebody couldn't get a 140 if offered $1,000 (not saying they could) but you don't have any valid reason to believe it. That study showed that the higher the reward correlated with better results. Who knows?
they didn't come anywhere near that sort of result in their study.

Also, you are sorta missing my point. The people who are getting good SAT scores etc are the same people getting high IQ scores, for the most part.

So who's to say that if you give them an added financial advantage, their scores won't rise as well?

IQ is by definition measured against other people taking the same test. So if you can raise everyone's IQ via incentive that would reset the scores (because the average score is by definition 100) and we would be back to square 1. See: the Flynn effect.

I do think effort does play a role, not only in IQ scores but in general Intelligence. But it's not an easy relationship to untangle.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote