Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2019, 05:18 PM   #16444 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

New American Gospel was possibly the best metal album of the 00's. In a world where you had ****ty melodic metalcore and deathcore in one corner, retro and reunited thrash bands in another, and of course underground bands playing black/death/whatever metal that was trying to put a new face on genres that were now surviving on ever increasing novelty rather than actual innovation, Lamb of God made a record that was one of the last times a band truly breathed new life into non-weirdo metal by channeling their influences into a cohesive sound that was fresh and vital and intense rather than just sounding like a band cobbling together genres with clearly visible seams.

I haven't kept up enough on this decade's metal to say this is still true but I wouldn't be surprised if it was tbh.

P.S. Too bad what happened to LOG after though. They still had that spark in a lot of ways for the next couple albums but they definitely sounded like they were toning down to be more accessible.

There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote