Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2020, 01:48 PM   #23278 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkeDaddy View Post
I found the 2nd act to be quite a bit weaker than the rest. Main character runs through areas in a straight line while the Germans were like ****ing Stormtroopers missing point blank shots, it took me out of the experience a little bit because it was such a clear usage of plot armor.
I was too busy marveling at the lighting to be too bothered by the silliness of a trained soldier firing from the hip. It was a haunting, dreamlike sequence where showing a soldier clearly putting his rifle to his shoulder would have ruined the confusion for the sake of petty realism, whereas how it was done left you unsure and tense as to who that guy was until the gunshots rang out and the German screaming began. Easily my second favorite part of the movie behind the opening No Man's Land scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkeDaddy View Post
So every film that uses war as part of its storyline is automatically a propaganda movie? I think you should see it first. It wasn’t a piece of trash like American Sniper or something
I don't really care about the propaganda aspect as I'm not going to miss a bombass movie out of protest, but any movie that elevates soldiers and war (even by portraying it as hell) furthers the mythology of humanity's warrior fetish. Anti-war movies don't just teach people that war is bad, they teach that war is a transcendent experience that you are sheltered without.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote