Music Banter - View Single Post - Can rock get a new style? Or will we retread forever?
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2020, 04:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
DriveYourCarDownToTheSea
AllTheWhileYouChargeAFee

At this point, anything "innovative" is going to have to sound so avante garde it probably won't be very popular. In fact, there's already a whole lot of stuff like that already out there, but ... well, it's not really all that popular. Because it tends to be too weird. People's tastes are going to have to change before anything "new" (which likely won't really be very "new") gains any significant traction.

When grunge came out I could tell rock was starting its downward trend because it wasn't really all that different from other stuff that had been popular years before.

I'm going to go even farther and note that I've been wondering when pop music as we know it is going to basically die.

The continued popularity of classic rock is, IMO, a sign that rock has already had a "golden age" and increasingly people will listen to old stuff at the expense of the new. Sort of like how Classical music had a "golden age" (in this case about 150 years) then declined in popularity when other genres came around.

Except this time, I'm wondering if all of popular music (not just rock) is following that path. What would replace it, I know not. Maybe some jazz spinoff or something.