Music Banter - View Single Post - Hi People
Thread: Hi People
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2020, 07:47 AM   #20 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Yeah, ditto on those confusing sub-genre categories. I only use them if I have to, and in full knowledge of the fact that I'm probably getting them wrong.

It's occasionally annoying because it's an area of music I like: I remember me and Neapolitan exploring a whole bunch of Prog Folk artists together, which of course blurs pretty quickly into Psychedelic Folk. Then grindy and I looked at artists like Alek K Redfearn and Lars Hollmer, who have a kind of world folk jazz hybrid sound.

And as for Freak Folk, that became a discernably different genre to me, but only after checking out the music that dankrista put together on this compilatation:-

Spoiler for dankrsta's definitive Freak Folk post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankrsta View Post

Freak Folk

(soon I will stop trembling)

I made this mix few days ago for 8tracks, but inspired by Big Four Bands Thread decided to post it here too. Like I said there, I see freak folk genre as a modern scene influenced by 60s psychedelic jams, especially by more out there freak-outs (Red Krayola, Cromagnon, for example); Sun City Girls/Sir Richard Bishop brand of primitivism; and minimalism/drone of La Monte Young, Tony Conrad, Terry Riley etc...

I didn't make this playlist to be a beginner's guide, but it can serve as one. The mix is more oriented toward mystical, pagan side of freak folk (like being alone in the dark wood). It's interesting to compare it to neo-folk, which is, with its ties to early industrial, drenched in occult; this on the other side is swimming in 'primitive' ritual.

Tracklist

Fursaxa - "Alone in the Dark Wood" (Alone in the Dark Wood, 2007)
Kabyzdoh Obtruhamchi - "Viva Piskadero!" (Estcho, 2009)
Wooden Veil - "Gloom Across the Ice" (Wooden Veil, 2009)
Inca Ore - "Everlasting Fountain" (Birthday Of Bless You, 2008)
Vibracathedral Orchestra - "Ordinary Babies" (Versatile Arab Chord Chart, 2000)
Islaja - "Palaa aurinkoon" (Palaa aurinkoon, 2005)
Lau Nau - "Kuljen halki kuutarhan" (Kuutarha, 2004)
Spires That in the Sunset Rise - "Bells Don't Ring At Night" (Spires That in the Sunset Rise, 2004)
Anna Homler and Steve Moshier - "Sirens" (Breadwoman & Other Tales, 2016)
Pocahaunted - "Ashes is White" (Island Diamonds, 2008)
Paavoharju - "Vitivalkoinen" (Yhä Hämärää, 2005)
Sun Araw - "The Phynx" (The Phynx, 2008)
Badgerlore - "Building a Nest" (Stories for Owls, 2005)
Topaz Rags - "Darker Sooner" (Capricorn Born Again, 2009)
Charalambides - "Strokes" (Joy Shapes, 2004)
The Tower Recordings - "Harmengi - The Tower Becomes A Sun" (Folkscene, 2001)

Freak Folk download

For those who want to listen on 8tracks (and still can without youtube): 8tracks radio | Soon I will stop trembling (16 songs) | free and music playlist