Music Banter - View Single Post - Political Discussions for "Adults"
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2020, 08:28 AM   #6738 (permalink)
SGR
No Ice In My Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre View Post
"Because some people are in a tough spot."

**** off.

Everybody I know is in a tough spot.

Downplaying poverty like a capitalist simp.

No matter what there will always be many many many many many many people forced to work **** jobs they hate or they starve in this system.

And yes, not only should people be paid a fair living wage but the safety net should be increased when we have a lack of jobs going around. The idea of people going with out because there isn't enough work that needs to be done is ludicrous.
You take issue with the word 'some'? I used that because I don't know the amount of people in poverty - it's not used in a way to refer to a 'minority' in an effort downlplay it, but rather an 'unkown' amount (because I don't know the number, and because I know it's not all). Would it reflect your reality better if I used the word 'many'? I have no problems using that word instead.

While everybody you know is a tough spot, not everyone I know is. The tendency in my own personal life is that younger people are in a tougher position. Friends of mine that paid tens of thousands for a degree in college are now either working menial minimum wage jobs or are on some form of government benefits program, while the interest on their loans keeps accruing, like a ball and chain that keeps getting heavier - this will probably affect their economic mobility for the rest of their lives. The system has not worked for them and I fully acknowledge that. I'm more interested in the 'why' and the 'how do we fix it' questions.

I'm not some shill for capitalism, we have a mixed-model economy in the US, and I believe we are better off as a whole for that. I'm happy that I can retain most of the fruits of my labor but if something goes wrong in my life, I have some options that can help me. How do we make that system better and how do we make it work for more people?

I'm very open to the idea of some kind of UBI, especially with the coming automation of many sectors of jobs. Though I didn't agree with everything Andrew Yang said, I think he brought very important ideas to the public discussion. I think it would be fair for all of us to benefit from the wealth of our society's technological innovation rather than the profits going solely into the coffers of those companies that replace peoples' jobs with machines.
SGR is offline   Reply With Quote