Music Banter - View Single Post - Political Discussions for "Adults"
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2020, 08:07 PM   #6992 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Hmn...Frank Herbert might have gotten my vote if he had lived and run for office. Futures-Past Editions: LOST INTERVIEW: FUTURISTIC MEDITATIONS FROM DUNE’S FRANK HERBERT Part II

Quote:
Interviewer: How do you feel we could put the power in the hands of the people?

HERBERT: Well, I think there are several ways to do it. Governments, being power centers, as I said before, attract the corrupt and the corruptible. So we have to go after the problem of how do we design our Governments, so that we attract people who are not corruptible, or not easy to corrupt, anyway. The Romans solved it a long time ago. Before they got on their empire kick they went out and got a leader and said, "You're the boss for a year or two. But that's it!"

One of the things I would do - If I could wave a magic wand - I would give us a six-year presidency, 'no re-election. A two-term, maximum four-year senator, and a one-term, four-year congressman. If they can't discover how the system works in Washington within a month of being there (hell, I discovered within two weeks of working for a senator), then they aren't bright enough to belong there. It's a privilege to work for your society. Not a right, not something earned by being there forever. We have to keep them in for short terms, attract good people with high, pay. And if I had my say about it, I'd make it a criminal offense with long prison terms for any military officer to accept a job with a defense after a retirement. That's handing the fox the key to the henhouse and saying, "I'm going to be gone for the night." That's an invitation to corruption, and of course that's what we get.

We have the instruments and we have the precedents for handing power back to the people. I think government ought to be an experience. You know, when this government was formed it was called, worldwide, "The Great Experiment." Somewhere along the line we carved it in stone. Experiments are things you test and find out what's wrong with them. Right?

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote