Music Banter - View Single Post - Political Discussions for "Adults"
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2020, 04:51 PM   #7059 (permalink)
jwb
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
You don't owe him your vote. But assuming you're a registered Democrat, and you participated in the primary, I have to wonder why you wouldn't support the party in the general?
I never vote. Last time I voted was 2008 for Obama when I had just come of age. I made the exception this time for Bernie because I thought it was exciting that the Democrats were offering up a type of candidate I would've previously considered far fetched.

Quote:
Ezra Klein recently wrote that we live in a weak-party timeline where people don't have party loyalty, so it adds up that people take this position. But I can't help but think its illogical.
I don't exactly know what this even means

Quote:
What was the reason you participated in the primary? Presumably one issue. Do you not think that issue is advanced in a Biden administration? I really think people are undervaluing Congressional control, and way way way over valuing the Presidency.

Why do people think the White House means a damn thing after Obama? Why do people assume Bernie would have done anything in the White House?
tbh I had little faith he would ever get his agenda through but it was worth trying both from the vantage point of strategy and curiosity. I mean Biden might throw some crumbs here and there but nothing that I can get excited about. Nothing that the democratic establishment doesn't always run on. Part of the entire appeal of Bernie to me was the ongoing attempt to change/shift the democratic party. I agree Congress is undervalued and I also voted for the progressive candidate in the primaries fora position in Congress here but she lost. I do think it's worthwhile to challenge moderate incumbents in congressional races. I also think it would be important symbolically to have someone like Sanders as president, even assuming he can't accomplish the bulk of his agenda.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote