Music Banter - View Single Post - What The **** Are You Listening To?!: The Rap & Hip Hop Edition
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2020, 06:38 PM   #1717 (permalink)
SGR
No Ice In My Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre View Post
I never really listened to Chino. IDK, maybe I'll check him out. My friend likes Chino.

Oh, he definitely had songs that touched on the same **** **** from Eminem's horrorcore songs. They were both the back packer crazy white junkie psychos.

Even before then was his Mudbone stuff. Not the best because the recordings were rough but, yeah.

Esham is a complex rapper. He's an experimental rapper that kind of pioneered the horrorcore style and is the root of what modern horrorcore is but his music and influence goes beyond that. His rap rock definitely had a part in influencing Kid Rock. His horrorcore is literally what created ICP and HOK. Him talking about shocking topics and drug addiction definitely influenced the Slim Shady character. A lot of his music was inspired by doing tons of acid, he he called his music acid rap, and that was a huge influence on Danny Brown. The problem with Esham is he's usually outdone by the people he inspires. Eminem was infinitely much more successful with the "wicked ****" style. Of course ICP and Twiztid (HOK) are both much bigger and much more successful icons in the horrorcore genre. Danny Brown's Atrocity Exhibition is Acid Rap done better. It's basically what Esham tried to do with DMT Sessions but lacked the talent to do.

His first album Infinite he was accused of trying to sound like Nas. Definitely a much much different style from him and honestly I would like to hear him try doing that sound again now that he has better producers in his corner. Just has to relax his flow so he doesn't sound like a robot.
Christ Lucem, I appreciate the history lesson.

I'll definitely check out Esham. And I love Danny Brown, but haven't heard his latest stuff. Last record of his I peeped was 'Old', which was, probably for me, the best rap album of the year (god, what was it, 2014, I think?)
SGR is offline   Reply With Quote