Music Banter - View Single Post - What are you reading right now?
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2020, 10:56 AM   #6965 (permalink)
grindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Super intriguing so far and a lighter read than I expected with his down to earth writing style and self-critical analogies. Trying not to read things into it but it seems like he's exploring a lot of the same questions and inconsistencies that I got hung up on in the free will and consciousness discussions that I've had on here with batlord.

Some of the math explanations take a close reading or two for me, feels like I would absorb that information a lot better in a lecture setting with real time diagrams than reading it. Maybe not though, proofs were my least favourite part of my math schooling and it could just be that bias.

I probably should've done it the other way around but GEB's on my queue after Loop. What do you think about GEB so far?
It's kinda the second time I'm reading GEB.
I had finished about 80% three years ago but then I had a ****ty period in my life and didn't have the energy for demanding literature.
Reading it the second time I like it a bit less. The barrage of puns can get a bit groan inducing. I also struggle a bit more with the math and programming stuff. The last time my brain was still better with that from having studied mechanical engineering not long before.
But apart from that I still think that it's a fun and cool book and there's a lot of food for thought, although the basic thoughts are not new to me and are close to my own philosophy and way of thinking.